Distribution of Botox Units in the Glabellar Area

For the glabellar lines, what is the recommended units of Botox (distribution of 20 units) needed to relax the corrugator and depressor supercilli complex and the procerus? Thanks for your time and support.

Frown lines softening with botox

+2

I usually would put 8 units in each corrugator/depressor complex, total 16 units for both sides. The procerus gets the remaining 4. This is if u are using 20 units. I can go as low as 16 units or as high as 40 units depending on muscle mas , & depth of lines.

In all my cases , I put 1-2 units in the frontalis on each side to prophylax aginst the "mephisto look". These injections are done in the same session when glabella is injected.

Detroit Dermatologic Surgeon

Depends on musculature of the patient

+2

Each patient has to be assessed and the musculature evaluated. For instance, men need nearly twice as many units as women. However, there are numerous women who need more than the standard number of units.

Some physicians, including myself, distribute the 20-25 units of BOTOX and 50 units of Dysport in five points around the glabella areas, some prefer three areas.

Follow-up is key, since, if there is still a line remaining in the glabella area it can be erased with more units.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Botox injections for the glabella or nasal region

+1

I usually use a standard 5-6 injections over the region that treats the procerus, depressors and the corrugators. Usually, that translates to about 12.5-15 units of Botox.

How maximize your results with Botox to glabella

+1

As you can see from the previous posts, you have to individualize both the total dose as well as how it is distributed. All of the clinical trials use 5 standard injection points, one in the midline to get the procerus. However, not everyone has a hyperactive procerus muscle; it causes a horizontal line across the nose between the eyes, while the corrugator muscles cause the more vertically oriented lines between the brows. So the product should be placed where the muscles are the most active, not with the same pattern in everyone.

Richard Baxter, MD

Botox in the Glabella

+1

I generally start from 20 units and adjust from there.  In most women, 20 units tends to more pretty well.  Whereas men generally need a bit more that 20 units to get the desired affect.

Hope that helps.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Botox for the glabellar muscles

+1

Most of my female patients need a minimum of 25 units of Botox (50 or more units of Dysport) to obtain a good and acceptable duration of effect. Depending on how much of the corrugator muscle is recruited from the mid forehead, I may use 35 units of Botox (or even more, rarely, in this area). The face is examined at a resting phase and with dynamic expression to gauge the girth of the muscle and determine the number of units of botunlinum toxin needed. 5 or 7 insertion sites might be used for the glabella.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Different strokes for different folks for Botox

+1

The dose of Botox per individual is different and should be treated on an individual basis. I usually start at 24 units for the glabella in females and going to up to 32 in males. The points are distributed to cover the corrugators "two injections on the medial side of the upper eyebrow" and one in the procerus, which is in the middle between the eyebrows.

It is important to know that Botox should be waited on (about 2 weeks) before any touch-ups to be administered. This is important as it will prevent overdosage, since the material takes time to reach maximal effect.

Hassan Galadari, MD
Dubai Dermatologist

Everyone's pattern is a bit different

+1

We usually examine the patient in repose and when animating to determine how strong the muscles are (which determines the dosage), and the pattern (muscle use varies and some people have longer and stronger muscle(s) than others). 20 units is often too low of a dose in females, and always too low for men. The key is to get a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon who understands the product and how to use it. The INJECTOR is the most important varailbe for good results.

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Frown lines can be minimized with around 20 units of BOTOX Cosmetic.

+1

Depending on the size of your frown-muscles, your dose of BOTOX Cosmetic will be around 20 units. I like to check all of my BOTOX patients around a week after injection so satisfaction, and response can be assessed.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox works for frown lines.

+1

Hi.

To erase the glabellar frown lines, we use 5 injections of 5 units of Botox each, in a V-shaped pattern between the eyebrows. 

It is very important to stay at least one centimeter above the bone, to prevent eyelid sagging.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)