How Can I Distinguish Between Swelling and Infection Post Lower Lid Blepharoplasty? (photo)

The swelling looks almost like a huge blister. I'm watching for the color red, and so far I don't see any more than the other very less swollen eye.

How Can I Distinguish Between Swelling and Infection Post Lower Lid Blepharoplasty?

+1

You still have sutures! So this is swelling not an infection. Please call and see your surgeon to understand this issue.//

Injection or Swelling after Blepharoplasty or Eyelid Surgery

+1

Classical signs of an infection are redness, swelling, tenderness, discharge, or fever. Signs are not always predictable as none, some, or all of the signs may or may not be present. Only a comprehensive evaluation by your plastic surgeon can best answer the question.

An infection can occur at anytime, but the surgical area is most sensitive the first few days after plastic surgery. Fortunately, the risk of infection after facial plastic surgery is low, partly due to the rich blood supply to the area. Following the postoperative care instructions of your plastic surgeon should help reduce the risk of infection. Smokers and certain medical conditions have a higher risk of infection. 

Infection can be sometimes confused for normal healing, reaction to stitches, allergy, or other conditions. Speak with your eyelid plastic surgeon, and let him/her examine you.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling vs Infection

+1

Thank you for your picture. You have normal bruising and swelling of your eyelids. Infection of the eyelids ususally accompanies pain, intense redness swelling and sometimes drainage.  

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Normal post-op swelling vs. infection

+1

The simple answer is that you should not be trying to make this determination as it should be made by your surgeon. If you have any suspicion that you may have a wound infection, you should be seen immediately by your doctor. It is really useless to review signs and symptoms to a typical infection as you may have an atypical presentation. Please call and schedule a visit with your surgeon immediately.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Brookline Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bruising and swelling after a blepharoplasty

+1

Some patients get bruising and swelling after eyelid surgery.  You have more than most patients, but I do not think that this is anything alarming.  Often one side swells or is bruised a little more than the other.  In addition, it is very rare to have an infection after eyelid surgery.  However, if you are concerned, you should ask your surgeon.  He/She should be willing to have you come into the office for an exam to check things out and to put your mind at ease.

Nancy Swartz, MD
Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon

How to distinguish between swelling and infection after lower blepharoplasty?

+1

From your photo, it does not appear that you have an infection currently.  You do have a significant amount of swelling and it's not unusual for one eye to have more swelling than the other.  Normally, the swelling is at the worst around 2-3 days after surgery, and then it should begin to gradually go down.  An infection would be indicated by tenderness, redness (but not bruising), increased swelling, and possibly fever.  If you do have any concerns, you should contact your surgeon as well.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon