Dissolvable Sutures and Breast ?

I am 8 days post-op healing nicely, but I can feel a few tips of the dissovable sutures around the areolae. The tips are tiny, hardly a millimeter. Is this normal and will the tips I feel on the exterior eventually go away?

Absorbable sutures after breast reduction

+2

Just over one week post op it is to be expected to to feel the the tips or knots to absorbable sutures.  Most of the time these will absorb and go away without any issues.  Occasionally one my work its way though the surface and causes a "stitch abscess", this is usually a minor inconvience problem.  When this happens the offending stitch is usually easilly removed and the problem solved.

Charleston Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction and sutures

+2

At 8 days post breast reduction surgery, you are still very early in the healing process.  Sutures which can dissolve or absorb may take several weeks to do so.  If the suture tips are bothering you, let your surgeon know and he/she may decide to remove them.  Best wishes.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Sutures Palpable after Breast Reduction?

+2

Congratulations on having undergone the breast reduction procedure; it is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. Given that you are feeling absorbable sutures, you can rest assured that the sutures will dissolve and not be an issue long-term. For specific concerns, your plastic surgeon will be in the best position to advise you.

Sutures around the breast after surgery

+1

Feeling and seeing absorbable sutures can happen after surgery and there is no medical emergency and no threat to your implants or your outcome. This situation is sometimes called "spitting sutures".

I recommend that you keep the areas clean, do not pick at the sutures and see your surgeon for evaluation and treatment.  He or she will likely clean the area and remove the small bits of suture.

Best of luck and enjoy!

Sean T. Doherty, MD, FACS