What Causes Displaced Breast Implants?

I have Mentor Smooth Round Moderate Profile Saline under the muscle. Is excess skin from weightloss a contributing factor to displaced breast implants? When I flex my muscles, one implant goes upward and one goes to the side. When I lay down the implants slowly (2-3 seconds) seep down to the bed as well. I am left with looking down at a completely flat boney chest. Are these displaced implants? It was a horrible experience going back to speak with my surgeon to say the least. What should I do?

Problem with the pocket

+3

The problem that you are describing is not uncommon but is somewhat avoidable. When the pocket is dissected for the implant to be place the lateral part of the breast must only be opened just enough to create a nice shape but without going too far. It the pocket is opened too laterally the implants will fall off the chest wall. In addition I have my patients wear a bra for 3 weeks postoperatively so that the tissues are secure and the implants don't move.

As for the displacement of the implants with muscle contraction that's a difficult problem. It may get better when the pockets are fixed but may not. It has to due with the capsules attachment to the muscle.

On behalf of all ASPS Board Certified Plastic Surgeons I'm sorry your surgeon was more amenable and empathetic to your concerns. See several others to fine one you're happy with for the revision.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Normal displacement vs. pocket mismatch

+2

Implants under the muscle tend to displace and distort when the muscles flex. This is a normal phenomenon and may product temporary asymmetries. Drifting and displacement of the implant when in various positions is also normal to a degree and can be a good thing in that implants that are fixed, tend to look less natural and can be firmer to the touch since the capsule is tight. It is possible that the implants are ina pocket that is a little too large or the borders of the pocket are malpositioned. Many implants may experience this, especially over time as the pocket changes due to gravity and movement, but it can also be more evident if there is a mismatch between the implant size, the pocket dimensions, and the natural dimension of the normal breast tissue since the implant will move independent of the breast tissue. Why was speaking to your surgeon a horrible experience? It shouldn't be. If you can't communicate with your surgeon, look for a second opinion.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Sounds like two different breast pockets

+1

It sounds like the implant pockets you have are different from side to side. This can be due to differences in your anatomy from side to side and/or surgical design and/or scarring. I would review this with your surgeon to see what might be going on and what might be done about it.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon