Will Disparity in Facial Muscle Usage on Both Sides of the Face Affect Tip-Plasty?

i have read articles online which advise against excessive use of facial muscles during the first few weeks after rhinoplasty, especilly with grafting done on the tip.

i have a habit of using the muscles on one half of my face a LOT more than the other, in talking, laughing, yawning, smiling etc. even at rest, the muscles on the stronger side of my face are more tensed up. due to disparity in muscle usage, my nose tip tends to be pulled towards one side.

will it affect my results?

Facial muscle usage and tip-plasty results

+1

Unusually strong facial muscles on one side of the face will probably cause the nose to pull to that side, especially the tip.  The tip is the most flexible and any work done on the tip, such as cartilage grafts, will magnify that and will likely be pulled to the side of the dominant facial muscle side.  

Doubt Facial Muscles Will Affect Rhinoplasty

+1

While I suppose there is a theoretical possibility that excessive use of facial muscles could affect your nose, I have never seen such a problem and I don't ever expect to see it.

Louis W. Apostolakis, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Effect of Facial Muscles on Rhinoplasty Results

+1

Facial muscle movement, asymmetrical or not, will not affect rhinoplasty results. That is an old wives tale.

Moving face after Rhinoplasty.

+1

Honestly, I have performed many, many Rhinoplasty surgeries over the past 20 years and consider this to be an urban myth.  After a Rhinoplasty, during the first couple of weeks, making facial expressions may create a uncomfortable feeling, even pain but that alone will do nothing to delay healing or in anyway hurt the nose after a Rhinoplasty.  Bumping the nose and increased blood pressure through increased physical activity is what needs to be avoided for the first month after a Rhinoplasty.  Smile away!

Facial muscle imbalance will not affect the nose.

+1

The facial muscles of expression you are talking about will not affect the nasal tip. Too far away and not a post-operative problem.

Just keep smiling, and your nose will be fine.

G. Gregory Gallico III, MD