W.C. Fields Nose Remedied by Rhinoplasty?

i.e., the "W.C. Fields" nose?

W.C. Fields' nose and rhinoplasty

+2

W.C. Fields’ nose is called a rhinophyma. This is not typically addressed through a rhinoplasty, but through a contouring of the nasal skin by dermabrasion. A dermabrader is used to sculpt the nose by sanding it to its new shape.

Rhinoplasty Surgery for Nasal Disease

+2

Rhinophyma is a nasal condition where the where the external nose is pink, large, & bulbous due to rosacea and hypertrophy of the skin's sebaceous glands. It is a slowly progressive condition of the nasal skin, primarily of the tip. Rhinophyma is more commonly seen in alcoholics and middle-aged men.

Treatment for rhinophyma is generally nasal surgery and/or laser ablation on the skin. Plastic surgeons may disagree on the definition of rhinoplasty. While usually considered cosmetic, rhinoplasty covers a very broad range of procedures on the nose, and plays a role for this medical condition. Speak with a nasal surgeon to help determine appropriate treatment options for you.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

The W.C. Fields nose is a classic case of rhinophyma, and this may be improved.

+2

The late W.C. Fields had a condition called rhinophyma. This is an exaggerated form of rosacea that results in a red, lumpy, nodular appearance of the skin of the nose and nasal tip. Alcohol consumption may worsen this condition.

Rhinophyma is not treated with typical Rhinoplasty Surgery which usually serves to modify underlying nasal bones and cartilage. 

I have had nice success dealing with rhinophyma nasal irregularities in the office, using local anesthetic. I have used a combination of shaving the irregular skin, along with light electrosurgery to provide a smoother more pleasing appearance.

I hope you find this helpful

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinopyma

+1

I think you are referring to very large glands and overgrowth of the surface of the nose which is called Rhinopyma. This can successfully be treated with either shaving off the excess or now more commonly I use a laser to thin this area more precisely. Watch my video.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Nasal or nose disease treated with rhinoseptoplasty (nose job)

+1

Diseases such as rhinophyma (WC Field's nose), nasal skin cancer, septal deflection, turbinate hyperrtrophy, sinus disease or obstruction, vestibular stenosis, epistaxis, septal fistula, concha bullosa, etc can all be managed with various forms of rhinosetpplasty

Disease Remedied by Rhinoplasty

+1

Dear Lawmanager: Rather than try to list all diseases remedied by rhinoplasty, why don't you send us a list of diseases you're concerned about and we,ll tell you if rhinoplasty is an accepted alternative treatment.

Rhinoplasty

+1

I can never follow my colleague Dr. Persky. He is just too damn funny and irreverent. 

An example of an ode to the nose by a legendary swordsman and poet Cyrano de Bergerac - Act 1, pg. 34 by Edmond Rostand
"Cyrano: My nose is Gargantuan! You little Pig-snout, you tiny Monkey-Nostrils, you virtually invisible Pekinese-Puss, don't you realize that a nose like mine is both sceptre and orb, a monument to me superiority?
A great nose is the banner of a great man, a generous heart, a towering spirit, an expansive soul - such as I unmistakably am, and such as you dare not to dream of being, with your bilious weasel's eyes and no nose to keep them apart!
With your face as lacking in all distinction - as lacking, I say, in interest, as lacking in pride, in imagination, in honesty, in lyricism - in a word, as lacking in nose as that other offensively bland expanse at the opposite end of your cringing spine - which I now remove from my sight by stringent application of my boot
!"

On the other hand WC Fields' nose is a case of Rhinophyma where the oil glands in the tip of the nose become chronically inflammed and swell creating bizarre shapes. Depending on the size and extent paring down with either cautery or laser may be required. Sometimes skin graft reconstruction may be needed in advanced cases.

Dr. P. Aldea

Diseases Remedied by Rhinoplasty...Ask a Silly Question, Get a Silly Answer

+1

Hi Cyrano,

Honkeritis, Good Lookin' Nose Deficiency, and How Long Have You Been Living with that Nose? are the only medical diseases cured by rhinoplasty.  The answer is that rhinoplasty is a cosmetic procedure that does not remedy any true diseases.  Rhinophyma or "W.C. Fields" nose is treated by excising the hypertrophied skin, not rhinoplasty.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P(inochio)

Michael A. Persky, MD

Only the deadly disease of ugliness

+1

There are NO diseases that are remedied by a nose job. Ugliness is a state of mind not a real thing.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD