How to Discuss Unfavorable Outcome with Surgeon After Lower Lid Injections?

A friend had Juvederm to the lower lids for under eye hollows & was performed by a Board cert. plastic surgeon. She said the Dr. only injected the tear trough area, (closest to the nose) not the entire lower lid, as she had clearly requested.

The tear trough area looks much better, but the outer lids are still hollow, which is much more noticeable now, compared to the area that was treated.

How should she approach the Dr. to discuss having the procedure done to her satisfaction?

Never hesitate to share concerns with your surgeon

+2

If you have received significant improvement in the tear trough area and still think you have hollowness in the lateral lower eyelid area, you should not hesitate to discuss your desires and concerns with your surgeon.  Likely, he has injected all of the Juvederm that you have paid for and if you need more you should be willing to purchase as much as is needed.  It sounds like you have had an excellent result in filling the tear trough hollowness so you should expect that the rest of the lower lid hollowing should improve as well with more volume injected.

Springfield Facial Plastic Surgeon

This is why it’s important to go to a doctor with whom you feel comfortable before you have the injection

+1

This is why it’s important to go to a doctor with whom you feel comfortable before you have the injection.  Then you can ask beforehand - if there’s a problem can I come back to you and could you do further treatment?  What would be involved?  Would I be charged for this?  The important thing is to wait a sufficient amount of time so the doctor can tell the result and see if more injection needs to be done.  You should go back for your recommended follow up and speak with them.  If it’s after a two week period, you’re entitled to go and say “I like this area…I don’t like this area…what can be done?”  I think people should be very comfortable speaking with their doctors. 

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Be Honest!

+1

The point about having enhancements done is not only to look better but to feel better about yourselves.  You shouldn't feel nervous about conveying your concerns with your surgeon.  (S)he will likely inject some more filler to give you a balanced appearance. 

Kimberly Lee, MD

Juvederm Treatment

+1

If you have a concern about a treatment performed by your doctor, then the best thing is to speak with them directly and discuss your concerns.  If you post before and after pictures, we may be able to give you more specific advice.  However, you need to be very careful when having injections around the eye.  You should not have injections in the eyelid, but possibly in the lid-cheek junction in the appropriate candidate.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Schedule a follow up appointment and tell him the truth

+1

He will most likely inject more, and may or may not give a reduced rate for a touch up, every doctor handles this differently.  But it is best to go back to the original doctor and discuss your feelings, they want you to be satisfied as well.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Always discuss things openly

+1

It is important to always discuss things openly and to communicate with your doctor. Make sure that he/she  understands what will make you happy. 

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Juvederm Lower Eyelids

+1

The best thing to do is be honest and have an open communication with the doctor.  It is not what you say but how you say it.  Compliment the doctor on the improvement you see but state you were hoping to see more or in different areas.  Doctors want their patients to be happy and enjoy  taking care of patients that are pleasant especially when things don't turn out exactly as expected.

Albert Dabbah, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Lid injections

+1

Simoly be straight foreward with your surgeon. He will advise you as to the pros and cons. Then take his advice.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Juvederm

+1

The doctor did exactly what she has requested.

She may need more filler to the other areas,and she would pay for that.