Mini Tummy Tuck - How to Discuss Revisions with Your Doctor

I recently had a mini tummy tuck w/ lower muscle tightening. I think that perhaps I chose the wrong procedure and would have benifited from having a full tummy tuck w/o upper abdominal repair as no repair was needed, but I have a great deal of excess skin above my belly button still after the procedure. I was not told that it was an option. I really like my plastic surgeon and am not sure how to approach it with her. How do I go about discussing this with my doctor?

Mini Tummy Tuck

+1

Approach it honestly and express your desire to have the correction above the BB and why this was clear in the preoperative visit.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Not happy with mini tummy tuck result

+1

I was just a calm  and honest conversation with your plastic surgeon to discuss your concerns. Most successful plastic surgeons work very hard to keep their patients happy;  your plastic surgeon will likely do the same.

Again, the key is calm  and  non-accusatory conversation.

Mini tummy tuck usually yields a mini result

+1

Most plastic surgeons that recognize the limitations of a mini tummy tuck would have pointed out to you that the procedure is not a good option. Skin laxity above the belly button is not treated with this procedure. A full tummy tuck is the right procedure for about 95% of women out there. Like a lot of things in plastic surgery- a mini operation generally yields a 'mini' result that is disappointing.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Discussing tummy tuck revisions with your Dr.

+1

A mini tummy tuck is a safe and effective procedure that can create a more contoured abdomen, a tight waist and a beautiful figure.

In our Miami practice, we have treated many patients who received tummy tucks elsewhere and were interested in revision. For these patients, we emphasize the improve the contour that is possible with liposuction and liposculpture and the placement of the final incision. Here in Miami, our patients appreciate a very low incision in the pubic area so that they can wear small bikinis and very low cut jeans. We carefully evaluate every patient for the amount of tissue that they have, as well as the quality of his tissue so that we have a good idea of how far we can move this tissue to place the scar at its ideal location.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Full tumm y tuck

+1

You should discuss this with your surgeon, I am not a big fan of a mini tummy tuck for the complaint you described.

Honesty is the best policy

+1

Your surgeon will not be upset if you are honest and explain your concerns.  Talk to him/her about your concerns and develop a care/treatment plan to achieve your goals.  If you are not satisfied with this dialogue, it does not hurt to seek a 2nd opinion from a board certified plastic surgeon.  Best of luck.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Buyer's remorse with cosmetic surgery: regretting surgery choice and options

+1

Be honest with your surgeon and offer to pay for the operating room, anesthesia and additional cost differences and perhaps you could work something out to both your satisfaction.

Disappointing Result with a Mini Tummy Tuck - " I chose the wrong procedure and would have benifited from having a full tummy t"

+1

Regarding: "Mini Tummy Tuck - How to Discuss Revisions with Your Doctor
I recently had a mini tummy tuck w/ lower muscle tightening. I think that perhaps I chose the wrong procedure and would have benifited from having a full tummy tuck w/o upper abdominal repair as no repair was needed, but I have a great deal of excess skin above my belly button still after the procedure. I was not told that it was an option. I really like my plastic surgeon and am not sure how to approach it with her. How do I go about discussing this with my doctor
?"

The vast majority of Plastic surgeons are perfectionistic individuals who truly live vicariously by achieving great results and changing their patients lives. Many of us form bonds with out patients and some of my best friends are former patients. Such a relationship depends on and can only exist with full honesty.

You MUST tell your surgeon what you want and expect and he/she needs to tell you if it is possible or not, which procedures may get you there and at what risk and cost.

I have a hard time believing that a good plastic surgeon (whom you like) would fail to tell a patient with excess abdominal skin ABOVE the belly button may be better served with a Full tummy tuck than a Mini Tummy Tuck. You stated that YOU chose to have this procedure but that that you were not given the option of a Full Tummy Tuck.

Either way - what was done is done. If you trust your surgeon, see her and discuss all your options filly with her. You MAY still be able to have a full tummy tuck with or without a short vertical scar of where the belly button used to be.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Be honest with your surgeon

+1

It is important to be honest and express concerns with your surgeon- she is in the best position to look at the area with you and develop a plan to achieve your goals. Remember, you are the customer!

Lawrence Iteld, MD

Revision Of Tummy Tuck Discussion Should Focus On How To Get A Better Result

+1

The best way to discuss with your plastic surgeon your concerns or unhappiness with a tummy tuck result is to be up front about what you don't like about it. Patients having concerns about their results are not rare experiences for plastic surgeons. It is a regular and recurring experience for us, not everything turns out perfect all the time. I am certain your plastic surgeon does not want you to walk away and be unhappy with your result. That does you nor her any good. Based on your description, you are probably correct that a more full tummy tuck would have been far more effective at eliminating loose skin around and above the bellybutton. Ask her what her recommendations are for improving the result you already have based on your concerns. 

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD