Ive Discovered a PS Thats 3 Hours from Me and $1500 Less Than my City?

A breast aug in my city is $5-$9,000. I've discovered a surgeon 3 hours away for almost $2,000 less than my city. It would be great to save that much but is it worth the what ifs? ( if I something happens and I have to travel back)

Traveling

+2

Remember, you often get what you pay for. Costs vary across this country and so does quality. Is the other doctor a board certified plastic surgeon or just a wannabe? Be careful when looking for bargains especially when your life is at stake.

Choosing a plastic surgeon

+2

I would categorically recommend patient seek out the most suitable plastic surgeon that's close to where he/she live. If such surgeon is not available in your city (highly unlikely if you live in a urban or suburban location in US), then you can seek out further to find the right one. Typically, when someone travels farther to seek out a particular surgeon it's because of that surgeon's reputation and/or referral from prior patients. It may not be the best idea to go far just for less money unless you have trusting referral regarding that surgeon's quality of work. Postoperatively care and management may be difficult if you have to travel far each time. Pick surgeon based on quality and proximity, not money.

Best Wishes,

Stewart Wang, MD, FACS

Choosing a plastic surgeon based on price

+1
The most expensive plastic surgeon may not the best best, but you can be certain that the least expensive surgeon is cutting corners somewhere. Take your time and do a lot of research finding the best plastic surgeon. It is better to wait on a procedure and find an excellent surgeon than to settle with a a surgeon who may not be ideal for your because they have a lower price

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Price

+1

Travelling three hours after surgery is tough! It is tough to travel three hours for follow up visits. If your surgeon who is charging less is a board certified plastic surgeon I am confident they are able to perform the surgery very well. Pricing depends far more on location than all the other factors mentioned previously

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Traveling for Cheaper Plastic Surgery

+1

If the plastic surgeon is board certified and has performed hundreds of breast augmentations, this may be appropriate.  However, if something should happen postoperatively, this is hard to treat from far away. 

Price for breast augmentation

+1

I think that it is always best to stay close to home for surgery. When everything goes right, it is great. But if you have a problem/complication the distance is a problem. Also be careful, sometimes you get what you pay for.

Choosing Plastic Surgeon?

+1

Selection of plastic surgeon is the most important decision you make when considering any type of surgical procedure. 
 I would suggest that you do your due diligence carefully and select a board certified plastic surgeon who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients in your situation. The board certification in and of itself is just a starting point;  you will want to develop a sense of confidence that the plastic surgeon you are considering does good work consistently. For example, you may be helpful to talk to previous patients who have been under the care of the same surgeon.  If at all possible, have the surgery performed close to where you live,  for improved follow-up and handling of complications.

Do not make the choice of plastic surgeon based on cost of surgery primarily;  revisionary breast surgery may be more  “costly” in many ways.

$2000 discount worth a 6 hour drive??

+1

Make sure you are comfortable with the doctors bedside manners and experience. Make sure your on the same page about what you are trying to accomplish. You may be paying less or more depending on experience, surgical facility, or type of implant. Just make sure and ask all the questions and compare. You will need a post op visit, a one month appt/ 6 week appt and then a 6 month appt. Make sure your willing to go back for all of these. 

Frederick Lester, MD

Cheap Breast Augmentation?

+1

Hello, and thank you for your question.

I would caution you as to price shopping in plastic surgery.  A breast augmentation procedure or any plastic surgery procedure for that matter is not equal from surgeon to surgeon, and even more significant, plastic surgery 'board certifications' are not equal.  Look for a local plastic surgeon who is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, and make sure you are confortable with them and their pre/post op photos and the way they treat you.  This is your body we are talking about, and the phrase 'you get what you pay for' certainly comes to mind.  I fix quite a few bad outcomes of patients that price shopped, and were very unhappy, then have to pay quite a bit more to fix it.  Fixing something is way more expensive than getting it right the first time, and certain things are not fully fixable.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Out of town surgery

+1

All I can say is that if you have a problem, you will wish you had chosen a local surgeon. Several visits at 6 hours round trip may make you wish you had reconsidered. Do you even know or know about the other surgeon? $3000 dollars would only pay for implants Operating Room and anesthesia in most places.