?Discomfort and Pressure Following Rhinoplasty

I am into my third week since my primary open rhinoplasty. For the first time, I am experiencing pressure along the bridge and tip of my nose throughout the last few days. During the first ten days that I had my cast on, and in the three days after the cast was removed, I didn't feel such pressure, but I do now - is this normal? Secondly, I am unable to breathe through one side of my nose. Is this normal, and if so, after how long can I expect to be able to start breathing through that side?

Discomfort and Pressure Following Rhinoplasty

+1

Please allow me to answer your breathing question first:  It is not unusual to experience either intermittent unilateral or even bilateral nasal congestion after nasal surgery, and you should be seeing your surgeon to have your nasal airways cleared and examined.  Sometimes crusting does continue for a few weeks post-rhinoplasty and I would suspect your surgeon has instructed you on how to clean your nose.  It’s not unusual to feel some pressure after the splint has been removed, but your surgeon can guide you on the normalcy of this in your case.

Jonathan Ross Berman, M.D. , F.A.C.S.

Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Pressure after rhinoplasty

+1

Of course without and exam I could not be sure and that is why it is best to ask your doctor. However, usually the pressure is swelling and airway issues for the first few months after surgery are often due to swelling.

Discomfort and Pressure 3 Weeks Post Rhinoplasty

+1

The complaints that you have 3 weeks after surgery may be secondary to the return of normal sensation after surgery.Although it is not typical, it may take several weeks before breathing is satisfactory. Schedule an appointment with your surgeon for an examination.