Discomfort and Hardening of One Breast After BA 18 Months Ago?

I had my breast augmentation (silicone) 18 months ago but now my left breast feels more firm and is a little painful. What could the cause be? it's been like this for one week. 

Capsular Contracture

+2

You may be developing a capsular contracture and should consult with your plastic surgeon for evaluation.  A capsular contracture is a tightening of the scar tissue lining that forms around all breast implants.  Sometimes this process is accompanied by discomfort but not always.  We do not fully understand what causes this process to occur in some breasts and why it might happen 18 months after surgery.  Your doctor should be able to tell you if this is what is happening and what your options may be.

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Breast Hardening

+1

I agree that this sounds like a capsular contracture or the tightening of the pocket around your implant. Go see your plastic surgeon to be sure.  Massage may help.  If it continues or gets even tighter and more painful surgery may be needed. 

Wesley Wilson, MD

Capsular contracture

+1

It sounds like from your description that you have developed a capsular contracture in your breast. If this is painful, you  may want it treated.  An exam will help determine this.  Good luck.

Possible Scar Tissue

+1

You may be developing scar tissue around the implant which is called capsular contracture. It is often on one side only and presents as a slowly hardening breast/implant. A visit to your doctor is in order for evaluation. Good Luck!

Brian Klink, MD
Vacaville Plastic Surgeon