What Can I Do For Discolored Skin on Upper Eyelids 3 Months Post Upper Eyelid Surgery? (photo)

How Long will it take for the skin on upper lids to return to normal color? Im 3 months post op. Is usually very red and sore looking, also purple looking sometimes. There is no pain. Can I do anything to help speed along the return of normal skin color?

Eyeid discoloration after surgery

+2

The condition you describe in not uncommon and relates to to the continued healing of the surgical area. What you describe is less of a pigmentation and more of a vascular congestion. This commonly resolves with time. Continued care with your surgeon is an excellent strategy.

Be healthy and be well,

James M. Ridgway, MD

Eyelid Issues

+2

Thank you for the photos.  You eyelids are coming along very well. The discoloration should continue to improve over time.  There is nothing that you can do to improve that at this point.  Continue to follow up with your PS.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Discoloration of upper eyelids after surgery

+2

It is possible to get some temporary discoloration of the skin after upper blepharoplasty.  It can take weeks to months for this to resolve but it should be improving and not getting worse at three months after the procedure.  Sun protection to the area is important in helping with the discoloration.  I would give it some more time and be sure to follow up with your surgeon so that your progress can be monitored.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon