Is Discoloration from Restylane Permanent?

I had restylane under my eyes three months ago and developed dark discoloration under the eyes about a week after the injections. My Dr. said it was tyndall effect but I went to another expert who disagreed and thought it was hyperpigmantation. Is it possible this is permanent? How can I fix it?

Discoloration after restylane

+1

If the discoloration you are suffering with is blue then it is the tyndall effect form the filler and could be dissolved.

If discoloration is bluish in color, it may be due to the product itself

+1

If discoloration is bluish in color, it may be due to the product itself and may last a very long time, but it’s not permanent. If it’s a bruise it will not last a long time.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Four Ways to Minimize Discoloration After Restylane

+1

1.  Minimize Brusing At All Cost:  relaxation, laughing gas, ice compresses, Arnica, avoidance of blood thinners

2.  Conservative Volume

3.  Deep Injection Rather than Superficial Placement

4.  Bleaching:  skin brighteners, bleachers, peels.  This does indeed take a while to work

George Sun, MD

Hyperpigmentation is usually temporary

+1
Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation is usaully temporary and can improve with multiple chemical peels, topical therapy (creams with lightening agents) and religious use of sunscreen.The treatment time may take a year or more.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Hyaluronidase may be your answer

+1

Best way to know is to get some hyaluronidase treatment done. If it was the Restylane it should go away, though for some reason the Tyndall effect can remain a few more months after the filler is removed. It is easier to tell whether this is pigmentation. The doctor can pull the skin to see and may even use a Wood's lamp for it.

Hassan Galadari, MD
Dubai Dermatologist