Disappointed, So Should I Consider a Tummy Tuck?

I had lipo in Feb 2012 on my hips, stomach & inner and outter thighs. I started working out when my dr said I could. I love the results from my surgery, but I don't feel that I'm able to tone up, firm up & lose some weight. I do Crossfit, jog, & the gym. My diet is good--sometimes I have a "cheat meal" (not a "cheat day"). My biggest concern is my stomach. It still bulges, isn't flat, & there's loose skin. Should I consider a tummy tuck? Or re-lipo? If so, how soon after my 1st surgery? Help!

Abdominoplasty with mesh reinforcement is best option

+2

I fyou have excess loose skin, you need a tummy tuck.  Abdominal wall bulges are secondary to weak fascia.  The fascia can be reinforced with mesh, which will increase mechanical strength.  Mesh is uses only in people desiring no future pregnancies.  This technique also helps reduce weight and maintain the reduced weight.  Abdominoplasty with mesh reinforcement may be your best option.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck may be a good option for you...

+1

Typically, a patient that has persistent loose skin following liposuction will probably benefit from excision of this skin.  The reason is that the skin following liposuction has already revealed how much shrinkage it will have, any further shrinkage is unlikely to occur after healing.  The need for full abdominoplasty versus mini tuck or something in between is best determined during consultation with an experienced plastic surgeon.

William Franckle, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck now?

+1

If you have loose skin with some additional bulges in the abdomen after 6 months post liposuction then you are most likely a candidate for a tummy tuck.  It will depend on how much loose skin you have to determine if you are a candidate for a full vs mini tummy tuck but this sounds like the direction you need to pursue.  Seek consultations with board certified plastic surgeons who perform a lot of tummy tucks.  Best wishes to you!

Milind K. Ambe, MD

Tummy Tuck after Liposuction Surgery?

+1

It is difficult to give you accurate advice without photos and/or a physical examination.  It might be in your best interest to see your surgeon and discuss options with him/her as he/she knows your history better than online consultants.

Tummy tuck surgery would be helpful if you have excess skin of the abdominal area.  This surgery also helps with separated abdominal muscles from pregnancy or weight gain/loss.  

Again, without an examination and understanding your goals, I cannot recommend one surgery over the other.

Disappointed after liposuction, should I consider a tummy tuck?

+1

Opinions vary on when you will see final results from liposuction, but I recommend waiting at least 6 months and up to a year to let all the swelling resolve.  If you are experiencing loose skin, then more liposuction is not needed - that may actually worsen the problem.  A tummy tuck will remove loose skin and tighten the abdominal muscles.  On the other hand, if your concern is a few stubborn fat bulges, "touch up" liposuction may be the answer.  It is hard to determine which is needed without an exam and/or photo.  Talking to the plastic surgeon who performed the initial liposuction would be a great starting point.

Andrew Jimerson, MD

Tummy tuck after liposuction

+1
If you have abdominal bulging and skin laxity, then tummy tuck may be appropriate for you. Additional liposuction will not correct for these issues and may, in fact, worsen the appearance with more evident skin looseness. Since you are six months postop, I recommend that you start to research abdominoplasty which could be performed at any time.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Tummy tuck better than lipo for loose skin

+1

The first thing to keep in mind is that all  body contouring surgery such as abdominoplasty and liposuction is for localized areas of fat and/or loose skin that don't respond to exercise and diet; so the exercise and diet part needs to come first not after. The second thing to know is that exercise in general doesn't do much to improve skin tone. So if there was localized fat in the abdominal area and some skin laxity, then the tummy tuck would have been the way to go in the first place.

Richard Baxter, MD

+1

A photo would help us give you a more useful response--think about attaching one. 

A tummy tuck does more than liposuction can do.

• Liposuction removes excess fat, and in some cases may accomplish a small amount of skin tightening.
  • A tummy tuck can remove excess fat, excess skin, and tighten the abdominal wall. 

Again, without looking at photos this opinion is compromised, but I do feel that more liposuction is unlikely to accomplish your implied goals. If you choose to proceed with a tummy tuck, you could do it any time--it is already six months after your first surgery. 

If your first surgeon is not a plastic surgeon, consider a consult with one who is board certified. The ASPS website will list surgeons in New York.

Thanks for your question, best wishes.