Any Complications from Evolence Under the Eyes?

I am planning on getting Evolence injections under my eyes. I am 66, and this is an area which I feel needs attention. Are there any disadvantages or complications of this treatment that I should be aware of? Thank you for your assistance.

Evolence is a good product

+2

Evolence is a dermal filler that is comprised of a natural collagen that is clinically proven to last at least 6 months. However, studies in Europe have shown this product to last about 12 months. The FDA recently approved Evolence in the United Stated in June, 2008.

Evolence differs from other dermal fillers on the market because it is derived from highly purified porcine collagen. Porcine (pig) collagen is a preferred medical grafting substance because it is nearly identical to human collagen. Evolence requires no skin test prior to treatment.

Some physicians like to refer to Evolence as the ‘event’ filler due to its minimal side effects, such as bruising, redness, and swelling. I have found Evolence to inject smoothly and evenly; however, if the injector is not careful lumps and areas of hardness can occur. Relatively speaking, Evolence is a firmer and stiffer compound than some of the other soft tissue fillers, such as Juvederm, etc. Evolence is not recommended for the lips!

Thanks for your question. I hope this helps! I would recommend that you see a physician or injector that is experienced with soft tissue fillers.

Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Evolence is best around mouth

+2

Have you discussed this procedure with an experienced board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon? Evolence is a very stiff product, very nice in the nasolabial or marionette lines, but not appropriate in my opinion for the delicate area by the eye. It also must be injected with a larger needle and requires a lot of massage to prevent lumping, so briusing is very likely. Lumping is a real possibility.

Proceed with caution!

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Don't blame Evolence

+1

The other physicians have provided detailed information regarding this product. I won't repeat that.

The technique for injection is a bit different than with the hyaluronic acid fillers (Restylane and Juvederm). It will last 6 months and there is evidence that it may last as long as one year.

Any longer lasting product will tend to be palpable that be felt. Often this is greatest for the first couple of weeks and it then becomes less noticable after that.

An important part of the injection technique is massage immediately after the injection by the injector. This should be relatively aggressive. It is recommended for the nasolabial lines and specifically not the lips. Because of that I have not used it for fine lip lines. A fine line formula called Evolence Breeze is supposed to become available for that purpose.

In summary, I have been using this product since it was made available and I have been happy with it. No lumps or bumps and good longevity so far.

Ralph R. Garramone, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon