Are There Any Known Disadvantages Towards Having Breast Augmentation at a Younger Age?

I have been seriously considering breast augmentation for about three years now. My concern is that I am quite young compared to most candidates. I am twenty-two years old and have been a 34 A since I was twelve. I do believe this is the right decision, however I am worried about any long term health risks I might face. My question is, are there any known risks or problems that might arise with my age? I can afford the surgery, but I do not know about any correctional procedures I might need.

Age and breast augmentation

+1

Your question is very perceptive; while I pay attention to age, it is the level of maturity of the patient that is really important, and of course this is a personal decision that a woman  makes for herself and should not reflect any peer pressure, family pressure, etc.  If you are in good health, your risks for surgery should not be any more than for older patients; including infection, hematoma, asymmetry,etc.  Your plastic surgeon will likely spend a lot of time reviewing these with you and also emphasize the fact that as a young woman, these implants may well need to be replaced later in life because of possible rupture, leakage, "hardening" (capsular contracture), however most women don't find these as deterrents, especially considering the benefits  they enjoy from their surgery.  Breast implants do not increase your risk for breast cancer, and do not usually interfere with mammography by an experienced radiologist, but I do think it is important for patients to get comfortable early-on in examing their breasts with the implants, in additions to their routine breast exams by their physicians.

Breast Augmentation at a Young Age

+1

You seem very mature which is a good sign.  Honestly, my main concern with young patients seeking this surgery is their maturity level.  This is a surgery which requires patience for the final result (may take six months in some patients).

There is really no health hazard to this surgery, regardless of age.  The risk really has to do with the anesthesia, and if the patient is healthy enough to tolerate it.

I always tell my patients, they should expect at least one more surgery.  These implants are NOT permanent and will eventually leak.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Once your breasts have fully developed, your augmantation risks are the same as anyone's.

+1

If your breast size it stable, which it is, you have only the usual operative risks of infection and bleeding, and the risks of implants--a hard result or deflation.

Implants do not last forever--think of them as getting new tires for your car.  Current information is that "failure"--deflation or "rupture" (a bad term) is about 1% per year.  At 22, you have a lot of years, and therefore have to assume one or more replacement operations.  That said, most women are very happy after augmentation.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon whom you like to advise you.

Mark B. Constantian, MD, FACS
Nashua Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation at 22

+1

I have a lot of patients in your general age that undergo breast augmentation. In fact just the other day my patient was 19 and she had saline implants.  It is all a matter of personal preference. You have to understand that implants are not a life long problem free procedure.  Classically, patients have to assume that bases upon statistics they may require one or more procedures in their lifetime for numerous possible issues.

Breast augmentation in the younger patient

+1

I don't believe there are risks unique to a young person that don't also exist for older patients.  The one thing I discuss with all my patients is leakage, and the younger you are when you have the surgery, the higher your odds of having a leak over your lifetime.  For example, with saline implants the leakage rate is about 1% per year. So if  you are 22 when you have the surgery, you are more likely to experience a leak in your lifetime, than if you are 55 when you have it done, statistically speaking.  

If you are a 32 A, you will enjoy the benefits of the surgery for a longer period of time if you have it done sooner rather than later. 

Paul W. Loewenstein, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation at a Young Age

+1

All surgeries have some risk involved, however complications are rare for breast augmentation. The additional risks would be possible capsular contracture, or implant rupture or deflation. Breast augmentation does not seem to cause a problem for women who wish to breast feed. I tell my patients to plan on probably needing a revision surgery at least once in their life time. Knowing this, all most all patients proceed with their surgery. Breast augmentation patients have an extremely high satisfaction rate even with a possible redo in the future. Being young does not affect your risk level, in fact you will have more years to enjoy your new breasts.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Being young does not increase the risks of augmentation mamoplasty

+1

Breast augmentation is one of most rewarding operations that I perform. It is precisely when you are young that you get such a benefit from filling out your bathing suit or other cloths. While you should not have a breast enlargement for any one but your self, it will go a long way in fulfilling your body image. 

Often I will do breast enhancement surgery between high school and college. Your age is no problem. Yes there are problems with augmentation mamoplasty as there are with any operation. The complications are very rare and usually treatable. To name a number of these, there is bleeding, infection, sensation loss, implant leakage, asymmetry, scaring, capsular contraction, and ripples. These should all be infrequent and correctable in the hands of an experience board certified plastic surgeon. 

I am always so please to see my follow up patients after augmentation mamoplasty because they all seem so happy to have balanced out their figure.

Carl W. 'Rick' Lentz III, MD

Breast augmentation

+1

There are a number of risks associated with breast augmentation I presume your question deals with specific risks at age 22. I and numerous surgeons have performed many breast augmentations in patients at your age.I would recommend that you see a board certified Plastic Surgeon.

Jay M. Pensler, MD