Is Direct Trauma the Only Way of Affecting Your Rhinoplasty?

I am six weeks post rhinoplasty and i was playing football with some friends and when i was turning my head to catch passes my nose felt really sore. Is it possible for moving your head to affect your rhinoplasty results, or is direct trauma the only way of hurting your results?

Is direct trauma the only way of affecting your rhinoplasty?

Moving your head will not cause an issue with your rhinoplasty. Direct trauma can potentially cause a problem, and it is best to be careful and avoid bumping your nose while you are healing. I would recommend following up with your surgeon regarding any specific post-operative concerns. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

120 South Spalding Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90212

Damaging rhinoplasty results from trauma

Your question is a good one and very interesting.  Essentially, any work on the nasal bones should heal to approximately 80% of the normal strength when completely healed.  In a healthy younger person much of the healing even after a rhinoplasty should occur by 8-12 weeks.  In a practical sense, direct trauma is the main mechanism for causing problems afterwards.  With a quick turn of the head you are not inciting direct trauma, however,  your actually pulling on the muscles of the neck, face and very fine muscles around the nose.  This whole area of the central face has been surgically disrupted and is more prone to being very sensitive especially well-healing is taking place.  From a practical standpoint I don't think you traumatized anything or jeopardized anything by turning your head.  You did probably put some stress and strain on the muscles of the face and surrounding nose which made it very uncomfortable.

Michael A. Carron, MD
Detroit Facial Plastic Surgeon

18181 Oakwood Blvd
Dearborn, MI 48124

Direct nasal trauma to the nose at 6 weeks post op

It is possible to damage your rhinoplasty result from direct trauma to the nose in the early healing period.  By 6 weeks the nose should be relatively stable but if there is a question then have your surgeon examine your nose.  

3096 Peachtree Industrial Blvd
Duluth, GA 30097

Post Rhinoplasty Trauma

Turning your head will not affect your Rhinoplasty results, but direct trauma will.  Follow up with your Plastic Surgeon for an exam, to make certain that you are healing in a normal fashion.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

980 Johnson Ferry Road
Atlanta, GA 30342

Rhinoplasty results

Dear candid456,

1. Turning your head will not affect your results
  2. You are correct, direct trauma is the most common way to affect your results when you are post-op
  3. If you do get injured, see your surgeon ASAP so that only a minor procedure may need to be performed

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

201 South Lasky Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90212