Direct Excision of Scar? (photo)

I got this scar next to my eye from an enormous acne bump that appeared a few years back that I kept scratching at. I was told by dermatologists that the only thing they could think of is just cutting it out and re suturing it, to get a smaller scar. I'm just wondering if it's likely that a hypertrophic scar would result or if there's other options. It doesn't look deep all the time, only in certain lighting and angles.

Facial Scar Treatment

+1

You can significantly improve this scar with injectable fillers as it appears wide and depressed. Liquid injectable silicone is excellent for this as it is very precise and permanent. Click on the link below to view before and after photos of scars treated with silicone.

Web reference: http://www.barnettdermatology.com/treatments.php?id=22

Facial Acne Scar

+1

Excising the scar that you have with a precise, tension free closure will provide with an excellent cosmetic result.  You should not expect to have any problems with a hypertrophic scar developing in this region.

Best Regards,

Jacque P. LeBeau, MD

Web reference: http://www.lebeauclinic.com

Pensacola Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scar

+1

I would agree with excising that scar.  Whatever scar you end up with from the surgery will be smaller and easier to manage than what I see there now.  There's no question you could improve the scar with fractionated laser, but it would take multiple treatments, a lot more cost and possibly not as good a result as excision.  You could always go the laser route after the excision if it was necessary.   Good Luck.

Seattle Dermatologic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.