Dip in Nose After Rhinoplasty, What to Do? (photo)

I had rhinoplasty over a year ago. There is still a slight bump and dip. My doctor has already given me one round of silicone injections to fill the dip (about a month ago) but I don't think it made a difference. I am supposed to go back in another 2 weeks to have another round of injections. I feel as though it is more of the bump remaining than a dip in my nose. Should I ask for a different treatment? Is a simple silicone injections going to fix this or does it need corrective surgery?

Managing A Post Operative Saddle Deformity After Rhinoplasty

+1

One will need to wait at least 1-2 years to see the full extent of any type of supratip or saddle deformity after a procedure. Certainly, I would not recommend anything other than hyaluronic acid injections in the interim. Do not use silicone or permanent fillers as this will only compound the problem. In a year, one can consider reconstructing the entire nasal autologous tissue preferentially with septum, ear, or rib cartilage depending on how much is needed.

Correction Of A Dip After Rhinoplasty

+1

Dear Kim,

Thank you for posting your photos.

Your situation has two possible solutions:

Dermal fillers could be used and the bump remaining will be hidden but not addressed directly.

However, for a more permanent solution you will have to consider a surgical correction where the bump will be filed down. This procedure if performed conservatively with a board certified surgeon of extensive experience will give you commendable results.

Thank you for your inquiry and the best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

It can be corrected

+1

The dip in your nose can easily be fixed using a dermal filler. I would recommend a filler like Restylane versus silicone, in case you are not truly happy with the results. You can always have a revision rhinoplasty if your want a permanent solution, but I would stick with the dermal filler right now. After 2 dermal injections, though, I would recommend a second opinion for possible corrective surgery. 

Sandy Sule, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

3 Options For a Bump and a Dip On Your Nasal Dorsum After a Rhinoplasty

+1

You basically have 3 options. You can add volume to the depression, reduce the bump above the depression, or  a combination of both. Injections with a filler typically work very well to add volume to the depression, and is usually a nice option because it is quick and non-surgical. You could shave down the bump, add some cartilage to the depression, or both with a relatively easy revision rhinoplasty as well. It does sound like you are on the right track with your current plan. Good Luck.

Michael R. Menachof, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

The Dip

+1

The "dip" can be improved with a minor surgical revision or perhaps even with nasal injectables.  The key is to develop a straight dorsal "bridge" for your new nose.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

There are two interventions you could consider to address the indentation in your bridge after Rhinoplasty Surgery.

+1

I read your concerns and reviewed your photos:

If you're overall happy with your nose and wish to avoid further surgery, you may consider getting another silicone nasal injection from your surgeon. Small indentations in the nasal bridge after rhinoplasty, like yours, are well suited for correction with microdroplet silicone injections, and several treatments may be necessary to achieve a desired result. 

If you're looking for a smaller nose, then revision rhinoplasty may be necessary, but this may not be feasible in your particular situation. You may discuss both of these options with your surgeon, or you could consider getting a second opinion from another reputable rhinoplasty surgeon.

Hope this helps you.

Dr. Joseph 

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dip in Nose After Rhinoplasty, What to Do?

+1

Hi,

I would say that if 2 injections haven't done the trick that you will probably need to have corrective surgery. It may be something simple, like a small piece of cartilage or fascia.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Irregular Profile 1 Year Post Rhinopasty

+1

You do have all alternative treatments available to you. Discuss augmenting the depression vs reducing the bump, or a combination of both. I don't feel comfortable making a recommendation on the basis of your pictures without examining you.