How Can I Get Dimples?

I have always loved people with adorable cheek dimples, and wished I had them myself. I'm wondering if there is anyway to create dimples via injections or surgery?

Getting dimples.

+4

Cheek dimples are quite adorable. The best way to create dimples in someone who does not have them is by a short, surgical procedure that can be performed in the office under a local anesthetic. If you a squeamish about an awake procedure, a sedated procedure can be performed. Make sure you visit with the surgeon (or different surgeons) performing the dimple creation procedure to discuss your expectations, the procedure, risks, complications and potential reversibility of the procedure. 

Everything You Wanted to Know About Dimple Creation Surgery...

+3

Dimple creation surgery, or dimpleplasty, is an in-office procedure which can be done on both sides in about 30 minutes. The resulting cheek dimples are permanent and very natural in appearance. They can enhance your smile or even make wide or round cheeks appear a little narrower. Also, the recovery time from this procedure is quite short. 

People who are born with dimples have them because there is a small defect or "hole" in the buccinator muscle in the cheek. The surgical creation of dimples involves making a tiny incision inside the cheek, carefully removing a piece of this muscle and placing a stitch which catches the skin of the cheek from the inside and pulls it in. The shape and depth of the dimples can be customized to the patient's wishes. Patients experience a few seconds of discomfort as the local anesthesia (lidocaine) is injected but after this they are completely numb for the remainder of the procedure. IV (or oral) sedation can be used if patients prefer to be sleepy during the procedure but I have not found this to be necessary. 

Patients usually require pain medication (or Tylenol) for 1-2 days and antibiotics for 5 days afterward. Initially the dimples are present all the time (for 3-4 weeks, what we call the falling out period) but as the stitch dissolves, the dimple gradually flattens out when you are not smiling but still dimples nicely with smiling. In rare cases, the dimples settle out deeper or shallower than patients desire, in which case they can be fixed or even reversed with a very short procedure. 

Do your homework and schedule consultations with surgeons who perform dimple creation surgery regularly to get the best results!

Best regards,

Dr. Mehta

Umang Mehta, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dimples and their creation.

+2

Dimples and their creation are best left in the hands of God--he( or she) is a much better surgeon that anyone you will find. The surgically created dimples I have seen from plastic surgeons are irregular and look artificial. Keep smiling as this is the best way to look good even when you don't have dimples.

Dimple Creation Surgery

+1
Dimple creation surgery is a short procedure that can be done in the office under local anesthesia. It can be done without any external incisions or scars. The one thing to keep in mind, is that the dimple is usually present at all times for about 2-3 weeks, but then heals to a more natural appearance wherein the dimple is only present during smiling.

Michael M. Kim, MD

Michael M. Kim, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

How can I get dimples?

+1
Remember dimples are dynamic, not  static. This means that dimples should only be present upon animation and smiling, not at rest. The surgically created dimple  would have to be static and you'll have it both at rest and upon animation. It will not look natural at rest.  Best to leave well enough alone

Dimple Creation

+1

Dimple creation is a very popular procedure that can be performed under local anesthesia in the office with you awake!  The location of the dimples is determined together with your surgeon and the process involves recreating nature to create natural appearing dimples.  Some cultures view dimples are a sign of good luck or fortune while many patients want them for a cute look or to brighten up their smile!  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can assist you in creating the dimples you seek!

Kimberly Lee, MD

Creating dimples surgically

+1

I dont know many surgeons who do this simply because the results are often not natural looking and there are potential complications (facial nerve injury).

Andrew Pichler, MD
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

How Can I Get Dimples?

+1

I agree aesthetically that dimples are a nice touch however, creating them surgically leave a fake, "done" look.  IMHO, it's better to follow the proper aesthetics of facial beauty for the creation of a naturally, more attractive face in other manners.

Dimples

+1

I would not suggest having surgery to create dimples.  It will not look natural.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD