Will Dimple/indented Skin from Internal Stitch (Transcutaneous Blepharoplasty) Go Away? (photo)

I had transcutaneous blepharoplasty 6 weeks ago. The surgeon used dissolving internal stitches. On my right eye, I can see 2 dimples caused by the stitches since the day of surgery. This issue does not occur on the left eye. I thought after the thread dissolved, the dimples would go away. Shouldn't the dissolving thread be dissolved by now? Will the dimples flatten out naturally over time? or Will this require some corrective procedure in the future?

Contour irregularity should correct this swelling subsides.

+1

I see nothing in the provided photograph it looks alarming. There still significant swelling from the operation which can explain the contour abnormality.

Will Dimple/indented Skin from Internal Stitch (Transcutaneous Blepharoplasty) Go Away?

+1

Defining terms is paramount here! Was the operation a "transconjunctival" lower lid blepharoplasty vs a "transcutaneous" lower lid blepharoplasty???? If a skin incision or puncture was done than the suturing has caused this issue. Needle release under the puckering could help. If the incisions were inside the lower lid than the suturing was done with to much tissue bite. Re operation under local to re open the internal incision is needed in my opinion and best to leaver this open to heal by secondary intention. 

Lower lid blepharoplasty dimpling

+1

Some dimpling may have occurred from sutures and if so, this most likely will get better with time. Be patient.

+1

From the photos provided, this is the healing of the skin incision line after the transcutaneous lower Blepharoplasty.  This may soften over the months but is the main reason that most lower Blepharoplasties are done Transconjunctival thus avoiding an outer skin incision.  

This may or may not resolve on its own.

+1

This line does correspond to a typical lower eyelid line so it should hide in plain sight.  While it may bother you, I am not sure that it is that visible to others.  This line may just disappear over time and I would give it 6 to 12 months to settle before feeling compelled to do something about it.

Skin dimpling after Blepharoplasty/ Eyelid lift

+1

Hello 'HJ90210', thanks for your question.  Skin dimpling and irregularity after a blepharoplasty procedure can be common, but they typically resolve over time.  Depending on what type of suture your plastic surgeon used, this may take anywhere from a few weeks to several months to gradually resolve.  Different sutures dissolve at different rates, and the ones that I have seen most doctors use dissolve over 2-3 months.  In addition, you will have some residual swelling as well as scar tissue from the surgery that also take a few months to fully resolve.  At 6 weeks you are still early in your healing process and I would recommend gentle massage over the dimples several times a day with vaseline or other moisturizer.  You should also bring this to the attention of your plastic surgeon so that they may follow this along with you.  Rarely a revisional procedure may be necessary if the scar tissue remains or if long-lasting sutures were used.  Good luck!

-Dr.92660

Parviz Goshtasby, MD, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Small Problems Usually Resolve on Their Own

+1

Although it is not clear why the dimples have occurred, small irregularities such as this usually resolve on their own. My advice to you is to speak to your surgeon and ask why he or she feels this has happened. Then I would simply have patience. If they don't resolve in three months a small corrective procedure, possibly an injection can help.

David Schlessinger, MD
Long Island Oculoplastic Surgeon

Dimple following blepharoplasty

+1

This is a common problem in lower blepharoplasty when internal sutures are used. I think the thin skin contributes to this problem. Most likely these will resolve without surgical intervention. If not, a small needle inserted under the dimple will most likely release the dimple and resolve this issue.

Kurtis Martin, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon