I would like to correct my nose's symmetry. How Difficult Will a Straightening Rhinoplasty Be for a Crooked Nose? (photo)

I would like to correct my nose's symmetry. I injured my nose and have not had prior work done. How difficult would it be? What would need to be done do you think? What can I expect as far as results and ballpark go? Will insurance cover? (I experience difficulty breathing or am unable to through a nostril often) Thank you very much for your time. I apologize for so many questions. I look forward to what you have to say.

Nasal fractures, straightening the nose

+2

To straighten the nose it would require fracturing and repositioning of the nasal bones and straightening the nasal septum, which is the wall between the nostrils on the inside of the nose.  From this surgery you should expect a straight nose and a nose that functions properly.  If nasal obstruction is present and has not responded to medical management such as antihistamines, decongestants and anti-inflammatory nasal sprays then  insurance should cover your surgery.  If other cosmetic changes are desired they would not be covered by insurance. From the pictures she provided this does not appear to be a difficult problem.

Tampa Facial Plastic Surgeon

Straightening a crooked nose

+1

In general, straightening a crooked nose is a very difficult procedure and requires a specialist. It is not possible to get the nose 100% straight, but great improvements can be made. Depending on your insurance company, they will likely cover some or all of the functional portion of your surgery. I would recommend a consultation with a board certified rhinoplasty specialist. He or she may use computer imaging software to morph a photo of you and give you an idea of how the final result of surgery may appear. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Rhinoplasty steps for a crooked nose

+1

Straightening your nose should be quite easy for an experienced surgeon.

It appears that you would need an open rhinoplasty combined with a septoplasty. The septoplasty would also help to ease your breathing issues. The bones and cartilage would need to be remodeled with, perhaps, additional grafting.

Be realistic about your expectations, however. Most likely, you will find that, over time, your nose is not 100% straight. This is because scar contracture can distort the tissues somewhat. However, you can experience a significant improvement from your current condition.

Your insurance may cover the septoplasty part, but the rhinoplasty may not be covered.

Ahmed Abdullah, MD
Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for the crooked nose.

+1

You should have a straighter and better nose with improved breathing.  Your insurance will pay part of the cost and you should be able to ask them for an approximate amount. 

Septorhinoplasty

+1

The dorsum can be straightened through a series of maneuvers, and the unilateral breathing problem needs to be examined to determine contributing factors.  If there is an anatomic cause, your insurance may cover this portion.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Fractured nose and rhinoplasty

+1

A nose fracture  repair that is causing nasal obstruction is usually submitted to the patient's medical insurance of medical necessity. A septoplasty is performed to improve airflow dynamics  through the nose,  while osteotomies  are performed to straighten the outside nasal bones. Occasionally a spreader graft will need to be inserted on the concave side where the upper lateral cartilages  are fractured off  the nasal bone. This will also help with airflow improvement. It is always best to seek out a experienced rhinoplasty surgeon. Any cosmetic changes to the nose will need to be paid for by the patient themselves.

How Difficult Will a Straightening Rhinoplasty Be for a Crooked Nose Like Mine?

+1

You will need to have your nasal bones cut and your septum will need to be straightened to achieve your desired goal.  If you are having breathing problems then your insurance carrier may cover the septoplasty.  The other procedures which are cosmetic will need to be paid for by you.

Thomas Guillot, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon