Is It Difficult to Remove Silicone from Your Nose?

I had a revision rhinoplasty and silicone was used it seems I might have an infection. I have a blob full of puss on the left side of my nostril and its been there for about 7 months. I believe my nose is infected. My doctor is overseas and told me to take antibiotics for 3 days. If need be is it difficult to remove? He was suppose to lengthen my nose and make my nose less bulbous. He place silicone in between my nostrils. Was this the solution? I don't see any length or change.

Challenges with Silicone

+1

It is highly unusual to have silicone injected into the nose, especially during an actual surgery.  Was it perhaps a silastic implant that was placed?  If it was the liquid silicone, it can be very challenging to remove, but it sounds like you need to be aggressively treated with antibiotics and then figure out what had been done.

Web reference: http://www.fhrps.com/

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Infected Silicone Implants in Rhinoplasty

+1

One advantage of using silicone in nose surgery is that it is a relatively inexpensive material that is strong, able to be carved and shaped, and can be used for structural support. It also avoids the potential discomfort and complications of harvesting your own cartilage from non-nasal sources (ear or rib). When placed in the body, your tissue reacts to it by making a fibrous capsule and segregating it from the normal tissue. This capsule makes silicone relatively easy to remove, compared to other materials like GoreTex. Being a foreign material, there is a higher risk of infection and implant movement than your own tissue or cartilage. Sometimes infected grafts can be treated with strong antibiotics, drainage of pus pockets, and local wound care. However, the infection often does not improve until the implant has been removed.

Pasadena Facial Plastic Surgeon

Infected silicone

+1

Removal of an infected silicone implant is actually quite easy - what is often more difficult is rebuilding the nose with cartilage grafts, typically from your rib

Web reference: http://www.seattlerhinoplasty.com/html/index.php

Infected implant

+1

You need to have the implant removed. You will never clear the infection while it is still there. Once that resolves in several months you can pursue alternatives to silicone implants to achieve the result you want.

Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Removing Silicone Implant

+1

Hi,

It sounds like the implant defiantly has to come out... Silicone implants used for dorsal augmentation come out very easily. Tip Implants may require a little more surgery depending on how many pieces where used (one versus 2 etc). But no question your implant should come out.

Dr.S.

Web reference: http://rhinoplastysurgeonnewyork.com

S It Difficult to Remove Silicone from Your Nose?

+1

Your implants needs to be removed, and you need to be treated with antibiotics for an extended period of time.

If your surgeon is out of town, you should look for someone else. The implant should not be hard to remove.

Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Infected silicone implant

+1

I doubt that 3 days of antibiotics will solve your problem from what you describe. You need to have your nose examined by someone familiar with rhinoplasty surgery and see what needs to be done.

The silicone implant will likely need to be removed. This isn't terribly complicated to do, but it may be helpful to calm any acute inflammation down first if there's an active infection.

Web reference: http://www.drlamperti.com/facial-plastic-surgery/rhinoplasty

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.