Is It More Difficult to Prepare Teeth for Veneers if I Currently Have Dental Bondings?

I got composite bonding on my four upper and four lower front teeth to close gaps between them when I was 18, because at the time I did not have the budget for veneers. This month I am getting veneers and I want to know if it is more difficult to prepare teeth propperly since they have to take the bonding off first. Are there any special precautions the dentist should take? Thanks

Porcelain veneers to replace bonding

+1

Your old bonding is easily removed.  As you probably know, porcelain will be stronger and more color stable than bonding, although it looks like your dentist did a nice job with your existing bondings. 

Chicago Cosmetic Dentist

Veneer Prep Over Existing Bonding

+1

The preparation of veneers should not change if there is existing bonding. All of the existing bonding along with a small amount of enamel needs to be removed prior to the placement of the final veneers. The precautions would be no different than when placing veneers without existing bonding. The existing bonding has little or no depth of color creating a dead or lifeless looking tooth. The veneers reflect light and glisten like natural enamel. The improvement before and after should be amazing!

Benjamin S. Fiss, DDS
Chicago Cosmetic Dentist

Bonding and Veneers

+1

I would definitely inquire about Invisalign or Clear Correct before moving forward with veneers to close the gaps in your teeth.  From your photo, I can see that you have space between your lower teeth as well, so retracting and bringing together your lower teeth with invisible braces will allow the gap in your upper front teeth to be closed as well.  You may not be able to close the gap entirely with Invisalign or Clear Correct alone, in which case you can consider porcelain veneers. 

Although it sounds futile, Invisalign (or Clear Correct) will allow your dentist to place porcelain veneers that look more natural because they are more proportional to your adjacent teeth.

Good Luck!

Michael Gulizio, DMD, MS
Manhattan Cosmetic Dentist

Consider Invisalign to close your Gaps.

+1

SHould be easy for the dentist to do. Its standard dentistry at its best to replace these with veneers. Maybe you should consider Invisalign to straighten your teeth and close the gaps,that way you never have anything to replace ever again..? Remember that with all bonding and veneers that at some point they will need to be replaced and could possibly chip or break. If you remove all the bonding then do the Invisalign you will end up with your own natural teeth which are more easily maintained than veneers. Of course the time will take about 10 months for Invisalign. It may be worth the wait tho..Just sayin...

Michael J. Thomas, DDS
Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Preparing Veneers over old Bonding

+1

All the old Bonding material (composite) must be removed and it may take a few more minutes, but the level of difficulty will not be noticeable to you.  You should be very please with the look and feel of your new veneers compared to the old Bonding.

Mickey Bernstein, DDS
Memphis Cosmetic Dentist

Veneers Over Old Bonding?

+1

From your photo, it looks like we will just simply remove the old bonding and place veneers over the teeth.  Also, except for removing the old bonding, it looks like you're an excellent candidate for no-numbing, no-drilling veneers called UltraVeneers or DURAthins.

Susan Goode Estep, DMD
Atlanta Cosmetic Dentist

Removal of old composite veneers is not a problem

+1

There will not be any challenge to removing composite veneers, they are easily removed.  It is possible that there will be decay, so that will be treated at the same time.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist