Is It Difficult to Hide Hair Restoration Surgery?

I'm almost 24 and have a receding hairline. I talked to a doctor about it and I should get about 1400 grafts. I don't appear to be losing hair in any other area and the rest of my scalp has thick hair. I'm curious in my case since I have a good amount of hair, is it possible for me to get the surgery and no one be able to tell I had the procedure the day before? I don't want anyone to be able to tell I had the procedure done.

Healing after Hair Restoration Surgery

+2

Since you have thick hair, your surrounding hair should cover the incision that was made in the back of your hair for the donor hair.  Over time, this incision will heal and leave a thin line of a scar.  An alternative to think about would be to use a follicular unit extraction (FUE) technique that does not leave a linear scar on the posterior scalp.  If you stay with the strip approach, the scar will only be detectable if you decide to shave your head.  Scabbing occurs in the transplanted area approximately 5-6 days after surgery.  You may also have some swelling and bleeding.  You can conceal this with your own hair or by wearing a hat.  It is unlikely that you will be able to conceal hair transplantation surgery a day after the procedure without a hat.  Please remember that you need adequate time to rest after surgery to heal.  I recommend taking 1-2 days off after the procedure to recover.  Good Luck with your surgery!

Pittsburgh Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hiding Surgical Hair Restoration

+2

Hiding hair transplant the very next day would not be possible, as you will definitely have some scabbing and possibly some swelling in the donor and recipient areas. With regard to long-term secrecy, it is certainly possible to have hair transplant without it being at all discernable to someone else. Hair transplant looks incredibly natural nowadays, but it takes 7 to 14 days for the scabbing to subside post-operation.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Hair Restoration Surgery in Secret

+2

You need to be realistic about many things in life and this is one of them.  Today's hair restoration has come along way and can get you the look you are trying to achieve without everyone knowing that you 'had something done', however, it may take a few days for any scabbing to go away.  You may get lucky and be able to comb over some of your hair to help conceal but just know that there may be some scabs a few days afterwards.

"Dr.D"

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hiding hair transplants

+2

There may be some scabbing immediately after the procedure.  It may be difficult to hide the procedure for the first 3-4 days but after that you should not be able to tell that anything was done.

Kenneth L. Stein, MD

Young Hairloss and No evidence of Transplantation!

+2

The strip donor site if done properly will hide nicely the next day. However hairline work may need some creative combing or styling in order to completely camouflage it. We do have some patients like this who do not show evidence of any transplant work after a few days.

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hiding recent hair transplants

+2
The situation you describe should readily be hidden by having hairin grown 2-3 inches in length combed forward. The crusts from a transplant usually are gone in 2 weeks, after which time you might be able to expose the repient area without attracting attention. If you are one of the few patients that develops swelling of the forehead 2-4 days after surgery, all bets are off. Be sure to discuss this with your hair transplant surgeon . Use of corticosteroids usuallys keeps this from happening.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

+2

If your hair loss is along the front hairline then it's more obvious tha placing transplants within the hear bearing scalp.  Black and dark brown colored transplanted hairs show more than blonde.  Single follicles are the least obvious, especially if they're placed in a random pattern along the hairline.  Hairs are transplanted shorter than existing hair, so you may be able to cover some of the transplants with longer hairparted and combed over the hairline.

Hat after hair transplant.

+2
Most patients cover the area with a clean loosely fitting hat after a hair transplant in order to disguise the work that was done.

Kevin Ende, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hiding Hair Restoration Surgery

+1

Whether or not if someone can tell the next day you've had a hair transplant depends on many variables... including how low the hair transplant is placed, how thick your own hair is in the area, whether you develop swelling of the forehead and eyes, and if there is any post operative bleeding.  In some patients this can be well disguised and others not. 

Jack Fisher, MD

Will people be able to tell that I had a hair transplant the next day?

+1

Yes, initially. You’ll have scabs for at least 2 – 4 weeks.  With hair transplants on a 24-year-old it’s controversial because you may continue to lose hair behind the transplanted hair follicles.  You may have islands of hair with bald skin around it.  It’s very important that you find a surgeon who will create a hairline that will look good even if you continue to lose additional hair.  I strongly recommend using products such as Propecia and Rogaine to prevent further hair loss.  Even though the studies were only done on the crown of the head, I’ve found both to be beneficial.

Timothy Jochen, MD
Palm Springs Dermatologic Surgeon