Why is It Difficult to Get Good Results for Bags Under the Eyes with Juvederm?

What are some of the problems with Juvederm filler for bags?

Juvederm is tricky for under eyes, but it can be done if done carefully.

+1

Juvederm and Restylane, the hyaluronic acid fillers, can be used to fill under eye hollows, but this must be done with extreme caution. Swelling, bruising, and visible lumps or filler material are higher risk in this area than other areas of the face. If filler is injected too close to the surface in too great a volume, a blue tinge can be visible from the effect of seeing clear material through the surface of the skin. This is the Tyndall effect (a name from physics that has to do with the light refracting through the skin making it look blue when the stuff is really clear). Each of the hyaluronic acid fillers absorbs a different amount of the body's natural water once it's placed under the skin. This can either be a great advantage, or a disadvantage, if the material is not well understood by the physician and is used in a less than ideal way. Juvederm tends to absorb more water than Restylane, and this absorption is long lasting, so unlike the normal swelling that does go away after any injection, the doctor should be cautious and not overfill with Juvederm, since water absorption by the material is greater than with Restylane. A good result can be achieved with both.

Juvederm for Bags Under the Eyes

+1

Fillers are not used to treat true bags under the eyes but will fill the grooves at the eyelid margin which give the illusion of bags. If bags are present they are surgically removed. If I use fillers, I prefer Restylane rather Than Juvederm because  Juvederm is hydrophilic meaning it absorbs tissue fluid(water), which cause more swelling after the injection.

Fillers for under eye bags

+1

In my experience, Restylane allows better positioning of the hyaluronic acid in the hollow portions of the eyes.  I have also been successful with Juvederm, but prefer Restylane.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Fillers for treating the lower eyelids

+1

In general Juvederm tends to be more hydrophilc and draws more water to the area injected and causes swelling. In the lower eyelid the skin is very thin and the swelling or edema is noticeable even wit a small amount injected for that reason I prefer to use Restylane in that area! Some cases are more sever and have significant fat herniation and excess skin or problems with drooping of the lower eyelids and surgery is more appropriate for those patients.

Good luck !

Tal T. Roudner, MD, FACS
Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm For Under Eye Bags

+1

Juvederm is not always a good option under the eyes.  When orbital fat is prominent, and or there is significant mid-facial descent, the results from filler will be limited and lower lid Blepharoplasty will be a better option. 

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fillers for under eye bags

+1

Fillers along the orbital rim can help camouflage some of the discrepancies between the herniated orbital fat and the rim.  If the fat is prominent the best way to treat it is by removing it surgically.

Juvederm is as good as the injector.

+1

Juvederm is as good as the injector. It does give good results if the surgeon is a good injector and does it over several times so as not to cause a lump.

Juvederm for undereye bags

+1

Juvederm can work well for treating under eye bags in some people, but there is a limit to what can be achieved with a filler.  Juvederm doesn't treat the bags themselves, but helps blend the area better with the cheek below.  A board-cerified plastic surgeon would be able to help choose the right treatment for you.

Danielle DeLuca-Pytell, MD