Differences in Breasts.

Hello! I had my implants for 2 years now. Recently about 2 weeks my left breast has gotten really soft and i can feel the bag inside now. I had saline implants under the muscle. My right breast is still firm and round and my left breast is now extremely soft and rippling. I can feel the bag inside. Just wondering what's going on, i don't think it's leaking because it hasn't gotten any smaller. One day it's like the right and the next it's soft and sagging into my side. What's going on??

Soft implant

+1

I agree with the other posts- you might have a slow leak around the valve.  Sometimes, the capsule ruptures also which can make the breast feel more soft on that side (especially if you have a capsule on the other side as well).  I recommend seeing your doctor if you haven't already- for a full evaluation.  This may include referral for a mammogram or MRI.  Sometimes, this can only be diagnosed by taking the implant out and looking.  Good luck.

Reno Plastic Surgeon

Difference in Breasts after Breast Augmentation Surgery

+1

It sounds like you may have the following

-  deflation or slow leak in your left breast

-  capsular contracture in your right breast

-  a combinatino of both.

Since you had your surgery 2 years ago, it's almost definitely NOT healing or swelling differences between your breasts.  If you haven't already spoken or seen your plastic surgeon, you should consider going as soon as you can.

Roy Kim, MD

Sounds like a leak

+1

This ceratinly sounds like you may have a partial leak, which is usually due to a failure of the valve in the saline implant.

W. Tracy Hankins, MD

Differences in Breasts

+1

Unfortunately it sounds like there is a small leak in the implant and some saline is escaping. You may have to visit a Plastic Surgeon and think about a change of the implant. If you want to be sure, you can wait for a few days/weeks to see if the implant is getting smaller - but I would not wait too long.

Anindya Lahiri, MBBS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Implant Deflation 2 years after Breast Augmentation

+1

Size change 2 years after saline breast augmentation is consistent with deflation or leakage of saline. This is not an urgent medical problem as the saline is simply absorbed into your body. You will want to get the implant exchanged, and this can be done electively. The FDA approved companies, Mentor and Allergan, will provide some financial assistance to help cover the cost.

Karen Vaniver, MD

Deflating implant

+1

It sounds very much like your left implant is deflating. You should return to your surgeon, or, if he or she is unavailable, another board certified plastic surgeon to evaluate your situation. If it is deflating, it should be replaced which is usually a much quicker operation with a shorter recuperation time than the first surgery. And the good news is that, depending on the manufacturer, there may be some help to cover the cost of surgery and the replacement implant. Your surgeon will be able to help you with determining that. Good luck.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Deflating saline implant or ruptured capsule

+1

Usually if a saline implant ruptures then the deflation is immediate but sometimes there can be a slow leak from the valve.  It can also be that the capsule that developed around the implant has ruptured and this will leave the implant feeling softer.  I would recommend that you have it checked out.

Hilton Becker, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Sounds like you have a slow deflation

+1

Most deflations of saline implants happen rather quickly, but I have seen a small number that happen over months.  The hole is usually high and the implant.  The sooner it is corrected the better because the capsule will start to shrink and the pocket have to be expanded.  At least go see a board certified plastic surgeon soon.  He/she may want to see you more than once if the leak is small and slow.  The secondary surgery will not be anything like the first.  You wil be up and around in a day or two without many restrictions.  The implant company will replace your impolant and should pay part of your costs so don't put of finding out and gettting treated if you need it.

Lori H. Saltz, MD

Saline implant deflation

+1

The most likely explanation of your symptoms is a partial deflation of the saline implant. This is a harmless problem but does require a visit back to your surgeon and if I am right, a replacement of the implant.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Difference in breasts

+1

The difference in the  breasts that you describe may occur with a partial deflation in your saline implants. The implant will get softer but not necessarily smaller.  Your plastic surgeon should examine you to determine the cause.

Beverly Friedlander, MD
Short Hills Plastic Surgeon