What is the Difference Between Ultrashape, Velashape and Liposonix?

Are these different technologies or same technologies by different companies? What are the prices of each (in Montreal)? Which is most effective? Extra question: if surgical liposuction failed on my identical twin sister, are these technologies likely to be more or less effective on me, who has an identical body type to her?

Liposonix is the only FDA approved fat melting device and now available in the U.S.

+1

As of Dec. 2011, I'm one of the first U.S. centers to offer the Liposonix, the first FDA approved fat melting device.  It uses high-intensity focused ultrasound to cause lysis or destruction of the fat cells.  There is no other device that can make this claim in the U.S.  It is  nonsurgical liposuction, a revolutionary technologic breakthrough.  It is not a replacement for liposuction because you cannot remove the high volumes of fat possible thru liposuction but you can get about an inch reduction (2.5 cm) in fat per treatment per area.  UltraShape also uses HIFU but has not received FDA clearance and is not available in the U.S.  Clinical trials for both devices have shown impressive and consistent results.  No other ultrasound device can make these claims of fat destruction.  The Vaser Shape and other similar devices are unfocused ultrasound which does not alter or change the fat in any way--they are more like a warm massage.  The most important concept for the consumer to understand to not be misled is to know there are 2 kinds of ultrasound:  focused and unfocused.  Only high-intensity focused ultrasound causes destruction or melting of fat, unfocused ultrasound does not.  Velashape is not ultrasound at all, it is a laser with radiofrequency coupled with suction that is a noninvasive treatment for mild skin tightening and cellulite, but it does not affect the fat cells and is not a fat melting device.  It is more effective and longer-lasting than endermologie however.

Web reference: http://www.eastbaylaser.com/

Walnut Creek Dermatologic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.