What is the Difference Between Thermage and SmartLipo?

I am a 22 year old male, apporximately 6'3" and 194 pounds. I have a fairly muscular build and, after losing about 20 pounds, have a small but noticeable amount of loose skin on my lower stomach and chest. I would love to have a procedure to tighten this skin, but the idea of anything invasive is very disconcerting, which is why I would much rather prefer something like Thermage. Could I possibly expect results from Thermage to be as good as results from SmartLipo in my case?

Thermage vs Smart Lipo

+1

Greetings Michael~

Congratulations on weight loss.  If the areas you are concerned with are ones of loose skin rather than specific areas of fat, Thermage may be a better option for you to stimulate some tissue tightening and collagen stimulation.  Thermage is a non-surgical, non-invasive, downtime treatment that is great for patients after gradual weight loss resulting in some slightly loose skin (if you lost 200 lbs it would probably not be the best option).  From what you describe, it doesn't sound like you are looking to lose any more fat from those areas so I don't think Smart Lipo would be ideal.

Hope this helps.

Good luck and keep up the good work.

Dr. Grant Stevens         

Skin tightening options: Thermage vs lipo

+1

Congrats on your weight loss efforts, you are to be commended. You have observed what many others have, which is that exercise and diet do not improve skin tone, so that's where aesthetic procedures come in. Without seeing you and examining your skin, no one can make a definitive recommendation, but here are a few guidelines. Thermage is completely noninvasive and has no recovery time. A younger person like you is more likely to get a good result. Smart lipo, like all other versions of laser-assisted liposuction, is an invasive procedure. Because the laser is inserted before doing the liposuction, it is actually riskier and more invasive than lipo alone. The idea is to get the laser to stimulate the skin to tighten more, but the best evidence is that it only adds about 17% more tightening, which is not likely to be noticable in most cases. If there is some fat to be removed in the area (which would be a criterion for having smart lipo anyway) you might also look into lipo with immediate Thermage, which we found in a clinical study adds an average of 40% more tightening.

Richard Baxter, MD