What is the Difference Between a Smooth Round & Textured Round Profile?

Many implants to select from

+1

It really depends upon you shape if  you were to choose a round vs. an anatomic shape implant.  If you have a well formed breast just insufficient volume then you would do well with a round implant.   From the shape of your breast you will do fine with either implant.  Vectra 3 D imaging is a great educational too which helps patients visualize the difference between all of the implant choices  > 500 types and sizes.  Your plastic surgeon will help you decide which is the best implant based on your anatomy and preferences for shape and size. Atlanta Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Z

Smooth versus Textured Breast Implants

+1

The difference between these types of implants is the feel nd surface characteristics of the outer surface of the implants.  I do not think that there are any advantages  of using textured  implants  and use the smooth  round implants exclusively.

Smooth or textured implants, the difference?

+1

Your question is about the surface of the implant, (silicone or saline).  The textured implant has a rough surface to it.  The advantage is that tissue ingrowth can occur and so the implant will not move around or flip so much.  This is an advantage for tear drop shaped implants especially.  Textured implants were also touted to have less capsular contracture rate in over the muscle placement.  Most of the literature suggests that when placed under the muscle, the advantage of a textured implant diminishes.  That is, the capsular contrature rates are decreased for both and without a significant difference between the two.  Our office usually places smooth round implants under the muscle.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

+1

The expert posters have answered your question but I think best to touch these types of implants in a consult in a boarded PS office. 

What is the difference between textured and smooth implants?

+1

Smooth implants have a thinner outer covering and tend to be softer and not as stiff.  Textured implants are covered with a second layer of textured silicone.  The local tissue adheres to the textured implants preventing its movement.  This is important with implants that are shaped.  For example, a tear drop shaped anatomic implant would need to be textured because you wouldn't want it to turn upside down.  I prefer the smooth round implant because they are soft and have a more natural movement. 

Elizabeth S. Harris, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Smooth vs textured breast implants

+1

As you can see from the other answers, smooth implants are exactly that, like a zip lock bag.  Textured ones have a sandy feel and were thought to reduce capsular contracture though I don'e personally feel that they do.  I always use smooth ones. 

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Smooth versus textured implants for breast augmentation?

+1

The difference refers to the outside surface of the implant. The textured implants have a rough surface, and a possibly a lower risk of capsular contracture when the implants are placed over the muscle. 

Frank Agullo, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Smooth vs Textured Implants

+1

The difference between smooth and textured implants is just that.  Smooth implants have a smooth surface whereas textured implants have a rough or textured surface.  I prefer smooth implants since I seem to rarely have patients with capsular contracture (which was the original argument for textured) and I saw more rippling when using textured implants.

John Whitt, MD

Textured silicone gel implants are the same as smooth walled implants with the exception that they have a rough textured surface

+1

When ever I put a breast implant under the breast in front of the muscle, i routinely use a textured implant. It has several distinct advantages. It is less likely to get hard, capsular contracture, and  the breast tissue grows onto the surface of the implant. This creates a much more natural breast because the implant does not move around in the pocket and feel like normal breast tissue. It also helps prevent bottoming out of the implant which some times happens with smooth walled implants. I will almost always recommend the placement of textured gel implants through a peri areolar incision behind the breast it it is appropriate for the patient. There is a little more risk of ripples but these can be treated with fat grafting if necessary. In a patient with minimal breast tissue it would be better to put a smooth walled gel implant behind the muscle to minimize the ripples. 

Carl W. "Rick" Lentz III, MD

Smooth- vs. Textured Breast Implants

+1

Smooth vs Textured refers to the texture of the surface of a breast implant.

1. Smooth-surface implants are just that: this is the implant currently used by most surgeons for subpectoral (under the chest muscle) cosmetic breast augmentation.
  2. Textured implants have a rough surface: these implants are used by some surgeons to reduce the incidence of capsule contracture, especially for revision after a contracture has occurred.  Some surgeons think textured implants may not feel or move as naturally as smooth implants, so these implants may be used more selectively.
  3. The texture of the implant is a consideration separate from most profiles (e.g., low,medium, high) in round implants. 
  4. All teardrop shaped implants must be textured to help prevent the implant from rotating out of proper orientation (imagine if the teardrop shaped implant rotated sideways!).

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon