Is It a Difference Between Silicone and Hydrogel for the Butt Injections?

i understand that ”butt shots” are not legally practiced but when i see the horror stories about it being potentially fatal its always stated that its because of the hydrogel i just wanted to know if it was difference between silicone and hydrogel

Silicone and Hydrogel for Buttock Fullness

+2

Both are unsafe and unapproved, both are done by non-physicians or unqualified personnel, and here in Houston I have persoanlly seen several patients who had terrible defomity after this procedure. 

There have been fatalities in Houston too.

Fat grafting is a far better and safer alternative.

Butt injection safety

+2

Your question about the safety of hydrogel or silicone buttock injections is easy to answer - neither one is safe, neither one is approved for use by the FDA, therefore,  DO NOT DO IT.

there is a very safe procedure to enhance, not only your buttocks, but contour your entire body, and that is liposculpture combined with fat grafting, this is the procedure you should look into if you are interested in buttock enhancement.

Sean A. Simon, MD

Buttock Augmentation with "Fillers"

+2

The one and ONLY safe injection/filler for buttock augmentation is Autologous (your own) Fat Transfer whereby the surgeon suctions fat from one or more areas of your body then transfers this fat to the buttocks.  The only other safe and effective method available for buttock augmentation is with buttock implants made of soft semi-solid silicone rubber NOT injectable liquid.

Both are very good options so what it comes down to, like any surgery, is proper patient selection.  Indeed because at least 50+ % of the fat transferred will melt away within a year, most patients are not good candidates because they lack an adequate amount of fat to harvest.  Thus buttock implants become a very good, safe, and long term reliable option for most patients seeking buttock augmentation (at least in my practice).  The implant should always be placed under or within the gluteus maximus muscle.  In this position, the implant is less palpable, less visible, and does not sag over time unlike implants placed on top of the muscle.  Therefore it is extremely important to seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in this procedure.  Best of luck...RAS

Ryan Stanton, MD

Buttock Injection with Hydrogel or Silicone

+1

Hydrogel is a generic term but usually refers to a polymer of acrylamide sold as Aquamid.  Silicone is the name given to a polymer of silicon, oxygen, carbon and hydrogen. They are different materials. The volume of material needed for buttock augmentation is such that one would be injecting very large volumes of these compounds with the attendant risks of embolism due to entry into blood vessels, infection, immune reactions causing redness, pain and even drainage from the skin and all leading to possible permanent deformity. There are very few legitimate practitioners using these product for buttock augmentation and the manufacturing origin and actual make up of what is being injected is often unknown. Nevertheless the allure  of this procedure is the low cost, not need for anesthesia and instant gratification with minimal pain and downtime - if you are lucky. Right now until more is seen in the medical literature about hydrogel use in large volumes I would save my money for the best operation, which in my opinion is fat grafting. Stick with legitimate surgeons and more mainstream procedures. Nothing is risk free but injecting these artificial substances poses many potentially serious risks. Best of Luck Dr Harrell

Jon F. Harrell, DO

There is NO Chemical that is safe to inject into your body

+1

Hi there-

Neither of these substances would be safe to inject into your body, and either of them could cause you a serious health problem.

You should also be aware that there are just as many women who have died after injecting silicone into their butts as hydrogel.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Neither is safe

+1

Injecting the the butt with non approved substances is not safe and not smart. You will set yourself up for a lifetime of unhappiness.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD