What is the Difference Between Neck Lift and Lower Face Lift?

The pictures make the results look pretty similar. What are the differences in operation?

Lower Face lift vs Neck Lift

+3

Loss of skin elasticity with age (and sun exposure) allows the lateral and lower cheeks, which aren't tightly attached to facial bones, to 'sag'. On either side of the chin are ligaments which hold the skin more tightly against the jawbone (mandible). This is where, and why, 'jowls' develop. I have also observed that many people develop both atrophy of soft tissues and slight recession of the mandible between the chin and the jowl area, which serves to exaggerate the appearance of jowls.

The surgical procedure that has traditionally been referred to as a' facelift' involves mobilizing the skin and soft tissues of the lower face and jawline (and in most cases, the neck), and advancing them upward and laterally to eliminate sagging (jowls) and provide the appearance of improved skin tone. The excess skin is removed.

What is currently referred to as a facelift usually means some combination of surgical lower face rejuvenation with procedures that are designed to improve other facial aesthetic areas: the brow and eyelids, the midface, and the neck. The combination of procedures I perform on any patient are customized for that individual's specific needs and desires, and thus no two 'facelifts' are exactly alike.

The facelift procedure involves incisions that skirt the contour of the ears, using the anatomy of the ear to help conceal them. For a full facelift, the incision starts in the sideburn area, follows the contours of the junction of the ear with the face, curves behind the earlobe into the recess between the posterior ear and the neck/scalp, and then extends into the hairline posteriorly at the top of the ear. When I make these incisions, I design them so that, once fully healed, they may be difficult for even a hairdresser to detect. That goal can often be achieved, and it requires meticulous attention to every centimeter of the closure.

The majority of patients having a facelift surgery also have aging changes in the neck, which can be corrected and improved through a variety of surgical procedures. To improve the neck contours, the facelift can be extended over the jawline and onto the anterior and lateral aspect of the neck. In other patients without major aging changes at or above the jawline, neck rejuvenation alone may be performed. 

Though it is not technically part of the face, a neck with loose, sagging skin can age the face dramatically. A neck lift is a standard part of most facelift surgeries, as the neck skin is mobilized in continuity with the lower face.

Immediately under the skin of the neck is the platysma muscle, which you can easily see in a mirror when you clench your teeth and tighten your jaw. In youth, this paired muscle meets in the midline below the chin. With age, the right and left sides of the platysma often separate, producing vertical 'cords' in the anterior neck. The platysma can be divided anteriorly and tightened during neck lift cosmetic surgery to permanently eliminate these 'cords' and improve the neck contour. One tightened in the midline below the chin, lateral traction on the platysma then creates a 'sling' which elevates the soft tissues below the jawline.

Before selecting a plastic surgeon take time researching surgeons, view many before and after photos and speak to former patients

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Neck lifts and lower facelifts

+2

Aging is not restricted to only the neck area, so it would be unlikely to only need a necklift without the incorporation of the lower facelift as well.  As I perform the surgeries, I include the lower facelift with my necklifts for most of the patients.  Excess skin tightening as well as better muscle tone should include elevation and lateral rotation of the platysmal and SMAS layers with the neck and lower facial skin.

Good luck .

Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa

Francis (Frank) William Rieger, MD

Facial aging doesn't stop at the neck line.

+1

The face and neck age together and for the most part a neck lift should include elevation of the lower face. Conversely a lower facelift should include tightening of the neck. In most cases the operation is essentially the same  but may be called a neck lift or a lower facelift depending on the surgeons preference. The one exception is an isolated platysmaplasty which can tighten the mid line neck without having any effect on the face. When performed on its own it is used to improve a sagging neck in a young patient who has no other signs of facial aging.

Thomas Buonassisi, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Necklift versus lower facelift.

+1

Surgeons differ as to precisely what these terms describe.  Simply put, a necklift refers to a procedure that improves the appearance of the structures below the jawline while a lower facelift refers to the lower half of the face, above the jawline.  They are commonly performed together, to the point they may be inseparable.  A necklift will often require an additional short incision beneath the chin.

Glynn Bolitho, PhD, MD, FACS

Lower Face Lift vs Neck Lift

+1

You can try to keep things separate by discussing the lower face (from the cheekbone to the jawline) and the neck (from the jawline to the clavicle), but they are closely related.  If a patient only has muscle bands in the neck with minimal skin laxity, it is possible to do a truly isolated neck lift (by tightening the muscles, and allowing the skin to re-distribute)--but most of the time patients also have significant skin laxity.  When you need to remove excess skin from the neck, a scar will be placed in-front of the ear (to avoid "bunching" of the skin infront of the ear), and that means the cheek has been undermined.  Because of this, the neck operation has crossed-over into the lower face, and you might as well address the jawline.  It is important to discuss your desired outcomes with your surgeon, and listen to how they plan to achieve your goals - it should make sense.  How the operation is named is a bit superfluous.
Dr.B

Michael A. Bogdan, MD, FACS

Neck vs lower face lift. What's the difference?

+1

Neck vs lower face lift.  What's the difference?  Nothing other than semantics.   There are a lot of names flying around out there for facial rejuvenation procedures and you the patient have to be careful and do your homework to make sure you know exactly what you're buying and consenting.   Make sure your surgeon explains, and shows you, what the procedure can accomplish, location of incisions, and potential pitfalls or complications.  

James Wire, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Neck lift and Face Lift same thing

+1

I consider a necklift and a lower facelift to be the same thing. The incision is mostly behind the ear and fixes the neck and jowls only. In my office it is done under local anesthesia and takes 1 hour with great results.

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck lift and lower facelift to me are the same operation

+1

I don't quibble about the names but these should be the same operations.  They essentially achieve the following results:

Correction of fat in the neck under the chin

Elimination of Granny Bands or the vertical lines from the chin to the chest

Tightening of the skin so that the jawline is smooth

Elimination of jowl lines and lower marionette lines.

The incisions are similar to that of a facelift and will involve scars behind the ears.

The surgeon should show you how much can be corrected with this technique and describe what your recovery time will be.  it is usually shorter than the recovery from a full facelift

Phillip C. Haeck, MD

Neck Lift versus facelift

+1

A neck lift addresses sagging or banding in the neck. It is often effective as an isolated procedure in patients who are relatively young, have skin laxity in the neck, but do not have signs of jowling in the face. Incisions are usually made underneath the chin and behind the ears so that they are well hidden. The platysma muscle (the sagging muscle in the neck) is tightened in the middle and anchored behind the ears in order to position it in its more natural, youthful position. Excess skin is trimmed as well and the result can create a very refreshed, youthful appearance.

A lower facelift is a bit more involved. The lower facelift addresses signs of aging in the lower third of the face, primarly being jowling. A lower facelift and neck lift are done in combination more often than not. In my practice, I combine a facelift and a necklift about 75-80% of the time. When a lower facelift is done, the incisions are extended in front of the ear and the muscle layer (SMAS) in the face is elevated and anchored in its more youthful, natural position. Excess skin is trimmed which adds to the more refreshed appearance.

I would consult with an experienced facial rejuvination surgeon to determine which options are best for you. Good Luck!

Todd C. Miller, MD

Neck lift vs. lower facelift

+1

This is a good question. A lower facelift typically incorporates the neck, while neck lift does not address the lower face. Lower facelift is a more comprehensive procedure.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD