What is the Difference Between Neck Lift and Lower Face Lift?

The pictures make the results look pretty similar. What are the differences in operation?

Neck lifts and lower facelifts

+2

Aging is not restricted to only the neck area, so it would be unlikely to only need a necklift without the incorporation of the lower facelift as well.  As I perform the surgeries, I include the lower facelift with my necklifts for most of the patients.  Excess skin tightening as well as better muscle tone should include elevation and lateral rotation of the platysmal and SMAS layers with the neck and lower facial skin.

Good luck .

Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa

Necklift v. Lower Facelift

+1

Both of these procedures address the lower third of the face including the chin, neck, and jowls. A neck lift specifically targets excess skin and fat that contributes to a “double chin” or “turkey waddle” appearance.  During neck lift surgery, neck muscles (platismal bands) are tightened and lifted to reduce sagging and if necessary, excess fat is removed through liposuction. A lower face lift addresses the chin and jowls as well, but it focuses on the mid to lower face to eliminate wrinkles and excess fat on the cheeks, jawline, and nasolabial folds. Since these procedures target similar areas of the face, it is important to have an in-person consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to determine which procedure will best achieve your goals.

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facial aging doesn't stop at the neck line.

+1

The face and neck age together and for the most part a neck lift should include elevation of the lower face. Conversely a lower facelift should include tightening of the neck. In most cases the operation is essentially the same  but may be called a neck lift or a lower facelift depending on the surgeons preference. The one exception is an isolated platysmaplasty which can tighten the mid line neck without having any effect on the face. When performed on its own it is used to improve a sagging neck in a young patient who has no other signs of facial aging.

Web reference: http://www.8west.ca/knowledge-base/cosmetic-surgery-options/face-neck/lower-face-neck/mini-neck-lift/

Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Necklift versus lower facelift.

+1

Surgeons differ as to precisely what these terms describe.  Simply put, a necklift refers to a procedure that improves the appearance of the structures below the jawline while a lower facelift refers to the lower half of the face, above the jawline.  They are commonly performed together, to the point they may be inseparable.  A necklift will often require an additional short incision beneath the chin.

Lower Face Lift vs Neck Lift

+1

You can try to keep things separate by discussing the lower face (from the cheekbone to the jawline) and the neck (from the jawline to the clavicle), but they are closely related.  If a patient only has muscle bands in the neck with minimal skin laxity, it is possible to do a truly isolated neck lift (by tightening the muscles, and allowing the skin to re-distribute)--but most of the time patients also have significant skin laxity.  When you need to remove excess skin from the neck, a scar will be placed in-front of the ear (to avoid "bunching" of the skin infront of the ear), and that means the cheek has been undermined.  Because of this, the neck operation has crossed-over into the lower face, and you might as well address the jawline.  It is important to discuss your desired outcomes with your surgeon, and listen to how they plan to achieve your goals - it should make sense.  How the operation is named is a bit superfluous.
Dr.B

Web reference: http://www.drmichaelbogdan.com/plastic-surgery/facelift.cfm

Neck vs lower face lift. What's the difference?

+1

Neck vs lower face lift.  What's the difference?  Nothing other than semantics.   There are a lot of names flying around out there for facial rejuvenation procedures and you the patient have to be careful and do your homework to make sure you know exactly what you're buying and consenting.   Make sure your surgeon explains, and shows you, what the procedure can accomplish, location of incisions, and potential pitfalls or complications.  

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Neck lift and Face Lift same thing

+1

I consider a necklift and a lower facelift to be the same thing. The incision is mostly behind the ear and fixes the neck and jowls only. In my office it is done under local anesthesia and takes 1 hour with great results.

Web reference: http://www.aventuraplasticsurgery.com/

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck lift and lower facelift to me are the same operation

+1

I don't quibble about the names but these should be the same operations.  They essentially achieve the following results:

Correction of fat in the neck under the chin

Elimination of Granny Bands or the vertical lines from the chin to the chest

Tightening of the skin so that the jawline is smooth

Elimination of jowl lines and lower marionette lines.

The incisions are similar to that of a facelift and will involve scars behind the ears.

The surgeon should show you how much can be corrected with this technique and describe what your recovery time will be.  it is usually shorter than the recovery from a full facelift

Neck Lift versus facelift

+1

A neck lift addresses sagging or banding in the neck. It is often effective as an isolated procedure in patients who are relatively young, have skin laxity in the neck, but do not have signs of jowling in the face. Incisions are usually made underneath the chin and behind the ears so that they are well hidden. The platysma muscle (the sagging muscle in the neck) is tightened in the middle and anchored behind the ears in order to position it in its more natural, youthful position. Excess skin is trimmed as well and the result can create a very refreshed, youthful appearance.

A lower facelift is a bit more involved. The lower facelift addresses signs of aging in the lower third of the face, primarly being jowling. A lower facelift and neck lift are done in combination more often than not. In my practice, I combine a facelift and a necklift about 75-80% of the time. When a lower facelift is done, the incisions are extended in front of the ear and the muscle layer (SMAS) in the face is elevated and anchored in its more youthful, natural position. Excess skin is trimmed which adds to the more refreshed appearance.

I would consult with an experienced facial rejuvination surgeon to determine which options are best for you. Good Luck!

Neck lift vs. lower facelift

+1

This is a good question. A lower facelift typically incorporates the neck, while neck lift does not address the lower face. Lower facelift is a more comprehensive procedure.

Web reference: http://www.facialplastics.info/facelift.html

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.