Difference Between Mini Tummy Tuck and Liposculpture?

my trouble is my pouch on my tummy and my love handles. secondary- are my jiggly arms. I work out every other day and follow a healthy diet. 5ft 5 tall, approx 138 lbs,age, 52.

Mini Tummy Tuck and Liposculpture

+2

Since we don't have a photo, my best guess--based on your age--is that you have enough loss of skin elasticity to benefit most from at least the small amount of tightening you'd get with the mini tummy tuck. That procedure, combined with judiciously applied lipo, would probably give you a very nice improvement. Lipo over the back wasitline area might further enhance the outcome. Your best bet is to consult with a board certified plasti surgeon who can take a look at you and make recommendations based on your unique anatomy.

Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

+2

Mini Tummy tuck is one step above liposuction because it involves liposuction of the abdomen and skin resection above the pubis. If the laxity of the skin is mainly bellow the belly bottom, this is a great procedure. If the laxity is above the belly bottom, full tummy tuck is the way to go. You have a BMI of 23, therefore you are not overweight. If your skin is in good condition you could just get liposuction. It really depends on the degree of abdominal laxity and where the laxity is.

Farhad Rafizadeh, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Diffrence Between Mini Tummy Tuck and Liposculpture

+2

They are two different procedures for two different issues.  The mini tummy tuck takes away excess soft tissue, (mostly skin).  Sometimes a plication of the lower abdominal muscles can be done.  It is typically reserved for thin women with extra skin in the area between he umbilicus and pubis.  It does not "move" the tissue from above to the umbilicus to under the umbilicus.  Liposculpture, (liposuction), removes fat.  The skin then needs to shrink back into place with the help of compression garments.  The choice really depends on your individual goals and needs. 

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Mini tummy tuck vs liposculpture

+2

Liposuction removes extra fat.  The amount of fat removed should be carefully balanced with the amount of skin present.  If fat is removed underneath saggy skin, the result is saggier skin.

A mini tummy tuck involves a small lower abdominal incision with removal of extra skin just below the belly button.

Mini tummy tucks typically tighten the deep layer (fascia) from the pubic area to the umbilicus, not above the umbilicus.

In our practice, we don't do many mini tummy tucks, except to revise a bad C-section incision scar, because most women also have looseness of their fascia above the belly button as well.  There are methods to tighten the fascia also above the belly button.

the same considerations apply to the arms.  Fat removal alone is OK, but if the skin is already loose, removal of more fat will just make the arms sag more, and a brachioplasty will be necessary.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Mini tummy tuck or liposculpture

+1

Liposculpture (liposuction) is used to remove excess fat, while a mini tummy tuck addresses excess skin.  Very often liposuction can be combined with skin excision with a low scar in the bikini area to provide a very pleasing result.  If you have a lot of loose skin above the belly button, then a more extensive procedure is probably worth it.  Of the various forms of liposuction I have found that laser lipoplasty with the slim lipo technique provides a greater degree of skin tightening than I could accomplish with either classical or various forms of ultrasonic liposuction.  There are, however, practical limits.  If there is quite a bit of looseness, then some form of skin excision will give the best result.

John Q. Cook, MD

Liposuction v. mini-abdominoplasty

+1

Lipo and abdominoplasty are different procedures to address different problems.  If a patient has excess fat, then liposuction is appropriate.  If there is sagging skin and loose tissue, then resection via abdominoplasty, full or mini-depending on the cirumstances, is what would be necessary.  There are not alternatives but, rather, can be complimentary to focus on different aspects of the same preoperative presentation.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Liposculpting versus mini tummy tuck.

+1

A decision for a tummy tuck or mini tummy tuck depends a great deal on the amount of tissue laxity and the status of the underlying muscles.  The term liposculpting indicates either the removal or addition of fatty tissue to get the desired result.  Why would one want to add fat?  Certain procedures (e.g. Brazilian butt lift) require the addition of volume to enhance the figure of a certain body part.  But in reference to the question, it sounds more like the traditional liposuction vs a mini tummy tuck.

Liposuction:  If there is very little skin laxity and some extra volume, then liposuction is a great option, especially if the underlying muscles are in good shape.

SlimLipo:  You have a mild/moderate amount of skin laxity, want to avoid the larger scar that goes along with a mini or  full tummy tuck, and the muscle conditions are in good shape.  Consider SlimLipo as it does have some skin tightening affect that can further tone the skin and enhance the results compared to liposuction alone

Mini Tummy tuck +/- Lipo:  If the bulk of your laxity is below the belly button and muscles are tight above the bely button, then consider the mini tummy tuck.  You may want to add liposuction for the sides or to contour the upper abdomen.

Full abdominoplasty +/- Lipo:  You will get the strongest sculpted look with the full abdominoplasty.  You can further contour the abdomen with liposuction and enhance the results if you add SlimLipo.

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD

Mini Tummy Tuck

+1

Liposculpture is a “marketing” way to describe liposuction.  Not many people doing liposuction will fail to label what they are doing as sculpting.  Thus, I shall call “lipo” “sculpting” as this usually denotes the removal of fat between the muscle and skin layers.  A mini tuck usually is the removal of skin, and fat below the BB in a horizontal fashion.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Mini or full tummy tuck?

+1

Based on your description I do not think you are a candidate for liposuction alone. You are probably not a candidate for mini tummy tuck surgery either. 

In my opinion, for example,the mini tummy talk is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery.

For some patients an area of concern may be the “muffin top” (flank or lower back skin and adipose tissue).Treatment of the stubborn muffin top involves excision (lipectomy) of excess skin and adipose tissue. Liposuction  surgery alone  will potentially leave you with loose skin and an  unsatisfactory result.

Liposuction and a mini tummy tuck

+1

We perform fairly extensive liposuction with a mini tummy tuck.  A mini tummy with muscle tightening sutures will remove extra skin and help with abdominal protrusion below the belly button only. We liposuction around the belly button where everyone has ring or circle of fat as well as the upper abdomen.  This really adds to the overall results. We also peform mini mommy makeovers. In our practice, we always perform both.

Pramit Malhotra, MD
Ann Arbor Plastic Surgeon