What Is Difference Between Liposonix and Coolsculpting?

I was curious as to what is the difference between the two procedures? Thank you for your input.

Liposonix vs. Coolsculpting (Zeltiq)

+4

We tested Zeltiq (Coolsculpting) at our clinic, and I just wasn't impressed with it. To my recollection, we scheduled 4 patients (volunteers) who were considered to be "ideal candidates" by  Zeltiq representative, in that the patients were in good shape, ate well, exercised regularly, but just had a little bit of stubborn abdominal fat. We took many "before and after photos" and measurements, and then we saw the patients back 4 months after their procedure. Maybe I'm too critical, but I just couldn't see any difference. The patients could not see a difference either. Of course, this would not be considered a statistically significant study, in that only 4 subjects were treated. However, it was enough to convince me that I shouldn't buy the system. 

Before the U.S. FDA approved Liposonix, I referred several patients to dermatologists in Canada. (These patients did not want to wait until the treatment was available here in the U.S.). All of the patients were called in follow-up by my staff, and they all said it was worth the time and money to go all the way from Atlanta to Toronto to get the treatment. Also, there is hard data on high-intensity focused ultrasound...this data goes back decades, with MRI and microscopic before and after images, so I had that data available to me, and that helped me make the decision to use Liposonix.

Alpharetta Dermatologic Surgeon

TruSculpt is the third and newest option

+2

TruSculpt is the newest non-invasive fat reduction technology that uses heat instead of cold or lasers. It uses RF energy (electricity) at a specific wavelength to target the fat cells. We have seen significant results in our patients. We take 3D before and after photos that will demonstrate the improvement. The treatment is comfortable and just feels warm like a hot rock treatment. It takes about 30-60 minutes to treat one area and the results will be visible in 30-60 days.

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Liposonix vs. coolsculpting

+2

I have never been very impressed that CoolSculpt did very much. I find it to be painful, lengthy (it takes a lot of time), and it has to be done 3 times - and therefore more expensive.  Liposonix is a  one-hour treatment that can treat the abdomen and love handle areas in this time period. It only needs to be done one time which is better time savings for the patient.  This involves HIFU (high intensity focused ultrasound) technology and therefore "heat" as compared to cold.  It can also be "tailored" more specifically to anatomic areas and does not require a "suction chamber" as Cool Sculpt does.  Finally the cost is significantly less since it is only a single treatment.  I have personally had both machines tested on me and I can say from personal experience that the Cool Sculpt was painful for 2 weeks and I saw no change. The liposonix was almost no pain at all and I've seen much better improvement.  Neither modality replaces liposuction surgery which can make the biggest change, but I feel that Liposonix is the best modality in the non-surgical arena - hands down.

James F. Boynton, MD, FACS

Liposonix and CoolSculpting, great but different approaches to fat reduction.

+2

We have been reducing fat noninvasively with both CoolSculpting and Liposonix long enough to appreciate both technologies.  Results are consistent and satisfying for both.  For CoolSculpting the ideal patient will have fat that can be "pinched" so that it can be easily drawn into the CoolSculpting handpiece where the fat is slowly chilled over one hour.  The fat layer is reduced by 20% or more with one treatment.

With Liposonix, you need at least one inch of fat under the skin to treat. This could be in an area where the fat is not necessarily "pinchable" such as saddle bags (an off label indication).  It also seems that Liposonix may actually tighten the skin which CoolSculpting does not.

The time involved for treatment and the cost may be fairly similar, it would depend on each individual.

The best thing to do is to have a consultation with a physician who has experience with both technologies to assess the perfect treatment for you.

Susan Van Dyke, MD
Paradise Valley Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposonix is focused ultrasound for fat reduction

+2

Liposonix and Coolsculpting are both FDA-approved noninvasive technologies for reduction of localized fat tissue that is disproportionate to the rest of the body. Coolsculpting (Zeltiq) used cold therapy to reduce the number of fat cells in areas that can be pinched between two paddles. Liposonix uses focused ultrasound energy to destry fat tissue in a specific layer that can be mapped out precisely, just as we do with liposuction. With both procedures, the fat cells that have been destroyed are re-absorbed by the body over a period of several weeks for a permanent effect.

Richard Baxter, MD

+1
Although both modalities are designed to destroy fat, they use very different energy sources.  Coolsculpting cools the fat cells to temperatures which cause cell death, Liposonix utilizes high intensity US to destroy fat cells which are 1.3cm below the surface of the skin.  Both modalities have shown to be effective, however, it seems that there is much higher patient satisfaction associated with Liposonix.  Liposonix is more versatile since it does not involve molds which a patient has to fit into to have the treatment with Coolsculpting.  Liposonix allow us to have a more customized treatment depending on the individual and the areas which need to be addressed.  Liposonix can also be used "off label" to treat other areas like outer thighs, which can not be accomplished with coolsculpting.   

Victoria Karlinsky, MD
Manhattan General Surgeon

Liposonix vs. Coolsculpting

+1
Liposonix and Coolsculpting are both non-invasive treatment methods of fat destruction, and that is about where their similarities end. Otherwise, they are dramatically different procedures. Liposonix uses high intensity focused ultrasound to inflict thermal damage to the fat cells 1.3 cm below the skin’s surface. Coolsculpting uses cold energy to freeze the fat cells. Both modalities have been shown effective in decreasing the size of troublesome pockets of adipose tissue. I’ve seen positive results with both. Liposonix may have an aspect of skin tightening which Coolsculpting does not.

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposonix beats CoolSculpting

+1

My experience which leads me to believe Liposonix beats CoolSculpting:

1. Liposonix causes DEEPER fat destruction

2. Liposonix allows custom contouring vs. CoolSculpting which has specific handpieces

3. Liposonix can be done in one session vs. CoolSculpting which may require several sessions

The only drawback with Liposonix is pain. We can work around this by using dilute local anesthetic infiltrated into the area as well as medications such as Valium or Ativan to calm the nerves.

Jennifer Ahdout, MD, FAAD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist

Liposonix vs. Coolsculpting

+1
We use the Liposonix in our practice and have been good good results. Liposonix is High Intensity Focused Ultrasound (HIFU).  The focused US destroyes the fat and body gradually resorbs it.  The important thing to remember is that it is not a replacement for liposuction because it does not remove high volumes of fat.  We did test the Zeltiq prior to getting the Liposonix but did not see much results with it.

Rigo Mendoza, MD

Liposonix uses HIFU, coolscultping freezes fat

+1

We have both technologies in our office and both work! LipoSonix uses ultrasound energy (HIFU)light to kill fat cells and Coolsculpting uses cold technology. Both are effective. No clinical trials in a randomized double blinded fashion have been done to distinguish between the efficacy of the two. One difference is that  CoolSculpting can only be used in areas where the handpiece fits the area of fat to be treated, while liposonix can be used where you can "pinch and inch" of fat

W. Tracy Hankins, MD