Difference Between Lipodissolve and Liposuction?

I can't figure out exactly what the difference is? Does Lipodissolve work better for your neck and Liposuction for your stomach? Thank you.

Difference Between Lipodissolve and Liposuction

+1

Lipodissolve is the injection of a solution usually Deoxycholine or Phosphatidyl choline into an area of fat. The chemical causes a breakdown of the fat through an inflammatory process. Liposuction is the direct removal of fat through a suction apparatus with various sized cannulas.  Lipodissolve is less invasive using only a needle and must be performed several times 1 -2 weeks apart to get the desired result. 

Difference in Lipodissolve & Liposuction

+1

Several years ago, starting in South America, an injection was given in the hopes that it would dissolve fat. With the passage of time, the effect was found to be questionable. Now, it is illegal to perform in the South American country where it was started. What does that tell you about the way this might be headed in the United Stated?

So now, lipodissolve, the injection of a "magic" mixture to dissolve fat has gone from wild enthusiasm to where it is hardly being offered.

I think the lesson to be learned is that just because something is new, does not mean it is better. The test of time weeds out lots of imposters.

Now consider liposuction. It has been tested and found to be helpful for removing areas of stubborn fat . That does not mean weight loss.

One type of liposuction to watch out for is the type that is advertised and implied to be the latest LASER liposuction that will make it the best.  There are many brands such as Smartlipo, Slimlipo, WaterJet lipo and so on. You get the idea. In my more than ten years of performing tumescent liposuction, I think these marketing ploys add nothing, and add an extra element of risk  to the patient. So at this point, I suggest those interested in liposuction, avoid slick advertising, and go with tumescent liposuction.

For more information, see w w w  liposuction dot com.

T. Wayne Day, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon