Does It Make a Difference in Drs. Performace or Pt Results While Getting a Brazillian Butt Lift with Local or Under General?

Which is better?

BBL under local vs. general anesthesia

+1

This is a great question and there are many issues to consider.  Using local anesthesia decreases recovery time and reduces the risks associated with anesthesia.  Because it is usually performed in the doctor's office, it frequently reduces the cost of surgery since there are no hospital or surgery center fees and frequently no anesthesiologist's fees.  However, the body sculpting (liposuction) portion of the Brazilian Butt Lift is at least as important as the fat injection.  In my experience, liposuction is not as effective under local anesthesia as it is when my patients are under general anesthesia.  Liposuction is uncomfortable.  When my patients are awake (even under sedation), I find I frequently it difficult to perform aggressive liposuction due to their discomfort and I feel it compromises my results.  Unless you have a medical contraindication to general anesthesia, I would not let the type of anesthesia performed enter into your selection process when looking for a board certified plastic surgeon to perform your BBL.  Instead, look at their results.  If you do decide to go with local anesthesia, make sure you see plenty of before and after photos of patients whose procedures were peformed under local anesthesia.

Anesthesia during BBL

+1

I perform a lot of BBL's and have done them under local only, under IV sedation and under general anesthesia.  The answer is the best anesthesia is what your surgeon is most comfortable with while providing the most safety and most comfort for the patient.  Fat grafting is technique dependent Nd does not really change with the level of anesthesia. Having said that, one of the most feared complications from elective surgery is a pulmonary embolus from a DVT or deep vein thrombosis which does not happen under local anesthesia!

Melinda Lirag Lacerna-Kimbrell, MD, FACS
Sarasota Plastic Surgeon

Brazilian Butt Lift

+1

I believe you need to think of Brazilian Butt lift as a body contouring surgery, Where the liposuction has to be done as you do the procedure for cosmetic reasons with the best results possible, not jut taking fat to be injected. the fat needs good preparation and injected into the buttock in a proper scientific manner so as to get the best take of the graft. Depending on how much fat and how many sites need liposuction , I would be concerned about how much local anesthetic is used. Xylocaine toxicity is real issue. Patient comfort and the procedure done completely and properly needs general anesthetic.

Brazilian Butt Lift Under Local vs. General Anesthesia

+1

It would be very difficult to get the best result when the liposuction harvesting and the injection into the buttocks would be attempted under local anesthesia. Having the patient comfortable being under general anesthesia assures that the surgeon is free to focus on the technical details of the surgery and not whether the patient is comfortable or being permitted to do everything that needs to be done in the fullest manner.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

General Anesthesia for Fat Transfer to buttocks

+1

In my opinion it requires general anesthetic to do the appropriate procedure. It usually requires extensive liposuction and transferring of fat. This usually take several hours. General  anesthetic will keep the patient comfortable and safe versus local anesthetic.

Dr.ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Does It Make a Difference in Performance or Pt Results When Getting a Brazilian Butt Lift with Local or Under General?

+1

The answer to this will depend upon the amount of fat liposuctioned and the amount of fat transferred along with the pain tolerance of the individual.  I perform about 500 Brazilian buttlifts each year, and this procedure is the most surgeon dependent plastic surgery procedure.  About 25% of my patients have had previous liposuction and Brazilian buttlifts. You want to get this right the first time.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of Brazilian buttlifts and Brazilian buttlift revisions each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA