Brazilian Tummy Tuck vs. Full Tummy Tuck - What's the Difference?

hi there i came across a ps who says invented the brazilian tt which is so much better than the normal tt carried out by most as gives zero seromas no need for drains and little down time? iv not heard if the brazilian tt until now, what is the difference and how do i know if my ps will do this technique? cheers nenee

Brazilian Tummy Tuck vs. Full Tummy Tuck

+2

Another name for a mini tummy tuck with upper abdominal liposuction. A full tummy tuck is a completely different operation. Best to have this explained in person from a boarded plastic surgeon in your area. 

Brazilian Tummy Tuck

+2

Your description seems to refer to a tummy tuck technique that includes:

• less undermining in the upper abdomen
  • lifting of the lower abdominal tissues in a particular layer, in combination with lipoplasty
  • using extensive suturing ("quilting sutures") as part of the closure to:
    • reduce the chance of seroma (fluid accumulation post-op
    • eliminate the use of drains

I happen to prefer to use this technique in my practice, with great success.

However, experts will not necessarily agree on what is optimal for a given procedure in a specific patient.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Brazilian Tummy tuck

+2

A tummy tuck is not one operation but a range which can treat skin and muscle laxity as well as localized fatty deposits. The Brazilian tummy tuck involves components of a mini and full tummy tuck. Generally speaking it may be good for reasonable amounts of skin laxity but it may no be appropriate for more advanced cases. From your picture, it appears to be an option.

Nenee

+2

that which we call a rose By any other name would smell as sweet.  A brazilian tummy tuck is still a tummy tuck.  The idea is to do more liposuction and less skin undermining.  This preserves lymphatics and veins that are interrupted in traditional tummy tucks.  These vessels are responsible for draining serum which may collect into a seroma during a traditional tummy tuck. In my view, plastic surgery is a science and art.  The names of procedures is often savvy marketing in my opinion.  Plastic surgeons notoriously claim to have invented or perfected a procedure.  I invented the Brazilian Breast Augmentation .....  See how sexy and amazing that sounds.  ( I didn't invent anything). The proof is in the pudding.  Your best bet is to seek the counsel of several qualified surgeons.  Your best referral is a personal referral.  Real patient comments are legitimate ones.  Look at pictures and talk to a physician's patients.  Cut through the marketing as much as you can and take your time in choosing your surgeon.  Good luck!! 

Jason R. Hess, MD

Tummy tuck

+1

If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is.  I would be cautious with this one. Go see another surgeon and get evaluated for  tummy tuck.

Tummy tuck

+1

Beware of any plastic surgeon that says he invented a procedure. You can name anything you do and unfortunately it is mostly to attract patients and probably charge more money for doing the same thing. Seromas are one of the most common problems after the tummy tuck and its incidence can be diminished by either drains or quilting stitches to close the large space. Look at the final results of your doctors but make sure they are certfied in plastic surgery. Watch my video!

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

"Brazilian" tummy tuck vs the good old-fashioned kind

+1

As plastic surgeons, we tend to perform procedures that are reliable and time-tested.  Most procedures have standard components that are always done to get good results. In a full tummy tuck, we remove extra skin, tighten the muscles, and remove extra fat from the abdomen.  Sometimes we add additional refinements to enhance our results--this would include performing liposuction of the waist, hips, and flanks at the time of a tummy tuck, for instance.

When you find a named procedure that is only done by a few rare surgeons, you can bet that procedure is mostly a marketing term, not a truly new procedure.  The Brazilian tummy tuck is just a tummy tuck with liposuction.  The procedure also involves some additional internal stitches that allow you to forego drains (and, yes, you can still develop a seroma--any surgeon who tells you otherwise isn't being honest with you).

Find a few surgeons who are board-certified and have consultations.  You'll know where you "fit" once you've talked to all of them.  You'll also know if a tummy tuck is right for you.  Best wishes!

Carmen Kavali, MD