What is the Difference Between Gastric Banding and Gastric Bypass?

I'd like to know how is gastric banding different from gastric bypass? Which of the two is the safest, gives you the most results, and has the least amount of downtime?

Gastric banding or Gastric bypass or reunion procedure

+2

I am a cardiovascular surgeon, but I know a little about these procedures - as a good number of our patients go for these procedures.

The newest and probably best will be the Reunion procedure. It is not FDA approved yet, but a number of highly skilled bariatric surgeons, like Dr. Colin Powers are doing it in the U.S. It is reversible, so it is a great procedure.

It is called the reunion procedure because you can lose 30 pounds quickly before your high school reunion! It is placed through the mouth and no incisions are involved, placing a baloon IN the stomach. Once you lose the weight, you can deflate the balloon and remove it.

Buffalo General Surgeon

Gastric Banding vs. Gastric Bypass - Differences.

+1

Tha Lap-Band is and adjustable restrictive procedure and the gastric bypass is a restrictive and malabsorptive procedure.  Lapband has one tength the mortality and complication rate as gastric bypass.  The Lap-Band is reversible and gastric bypass considered permanent.  The long -term weight loss with both procedures is similar at aorund 60% excess weight loss.

Shawn Garber, MD, FACS, FASMBS
Long Island Bariatric Surgeon