Little Difference After Gynecomastia Surgery - Is That Normal?

i had gynecomastia and a tummy tuck surgery 3 weeks ago, my doctor said he did liposuction, removed breast tissue and skin from around the nipples. yet i don't see much difference is that normal? or was the operation a flop? and i still have one breast larger than the other,the tummy tuck was acceptable i thought. what would you suggest and thanks in advance for your help

Gynecomastia Surgery

Three weeks is too soon to judge results after cosmetic surgery. There is often swelling which will take months to resolve. During this time your results will improve gradually. After gynecomastia surgery, you must allow time fro the results to improve. From El Paso.

El Paso Plastic Surgeon

10175 Gateway Blvd West
El Paso, TX 79925

Little Difference After Gynecomastia Surgery

Thanks for the post and photos. At three weeks you are very early in the healing process and can expect some changes in the chest. I recommend waiting at least 6 months before undergoing any revision surgery. Based on the preoperative photo and the early post operative photo there is a good chance that you may need more skin resection. I would stay in close communication with you plastic surgeon during the healing process and evaluate your options she you are closer to 6 months out from surgery.

Dr. Dadvand 

Babak Dadvand, MD

9201 W. Sunset Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90069

It is likely too early to tell.  However, judging from your photo, you may need additional skin resection to better contour your chest given the excessive loose skin.  Good luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

John Nguyen, MD, FACS

16614 Creek Bend Drive
Sugar Land, TX 77478

Be patient

You have one of the most difficult gynecomastia cases. You describe the proper approach for your case. You still have swelling. The photos display a fair amount of tissue still present and your skin before surgery is an issue. Give it more time then discuss your concerns with you plastic surgeon.

Miguel Delgado, MD

450 Sutter Street
San Francisco, CA 94108

How fully has the gynecomastia surgery addressed the breast enlargement

There appears to be a significant difference in time between the pre-op photo available versus the immediate post-op ones. Nevertheless, there is a noticeable difference in appearance. Whether or not this will completely treat your gynecomastia is not entirely clear as it is too early yet. At 3 weeks you will still have considerable swelling which may 6 months or more to nearly totally resolve.

Therefore, I would presently discuss your concerns now with your plastic surgeon but wait at least 6 months to a year to determine whether additional surgery would be necessary.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

10290 N 92nd St
Scottsdale, AZ 85258

Results after gynecomastia surgery

It can take up to six months or longer to see your final results after gynecomastia (male breast reduction); especially if liposuction was performed. The skin needs time to shrink and contract and also to allow for the swelling to resolve. You should wear a compressive garment for about four to six weeks right after surgery to help control the skin contour.

Be patient but check in with your plastic surgeon at regular intervals for follow up.

William Bruno, MD

9201 Sunset Boulevard
West Hollywood, CA 90069

The preop photo appears to be a younger individual. In any case it is still early,however you may require a glandular excision .

Jay M. Pensler, MD

680 N Lakeshore Drive
Chicago, IL 60611

Realistic Expectations Needed after Gynecomastectomy

I am unsure why you feel that there is little improvement in your condition following surgery.  Looking at your before and after photos it appears that you have a very nice result for three weeks post-op.  It would have been helpful if the photos had been taken from similar angles.  I agree that your are likely to see further improvement in your results over the next few weeks.

John Whitt, MD (retired)

4001 Kresge Way
Louisville, KY 40207