Can You Die from Labiaplasty?

I am young, and healthy. I have no medical conditions, but i am very scared about being put to sleep. Since I am healthy, do i have anything to worry about? thanks

You can but will not die from a labiaplasty...

+1

People in poor health have greater risks for catastrophic complications and are at increased risks for possible death from anesthesia/surgery.  When you are healthy as you are, the risks of miniscule and if done under local, nearly impossible unless you had some unknown reaction to the local anesthetics used.   So though possible, I would venture to say absolutely not if your health is as great as it sounds.

Death with Surgery

+1

With any type of surgery, there is a potential risk of "death".  This is surgery and generally, if you choose a certified surgeon who performs the surgery in a certified surgery center with board certified Anesthesiologist, etc.. you are reducing the chances.  Many patients are concerned with proceeding with "elective" surgery for this exact reason and I fully understand.  I will say that in my practice, this has not happened but you still need to be aware that it can happen with ANY type of surgery.

Adjustment down under

+1

All procedures have risks.  The procedure you are looking into can be done under a local anesthesia and some sedation.  On the other hand most patients are more comfortable being under a general anesthesia.  The anesthesia given today by CRNA or anesthesiologists is very safe.  Find a board certified plastic surgeon and go from there.

Jay H. Ross, MD
Palm Harbor Plastic Surgeon

Can you die from Labiaplasty?

+1

The answer to this question is of course yes as you can die from drinking too much water. However, that chance is extremely remote in possibility. Labiaplasty surgery is most often performed under local anesthesia which removes the risk of being put to sleep. I would suggest you find a surgeon who you feel confident in and let them guide you in this endeavor.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Labiaplasty safety

+1

In general any surgery carries risks and yes, you can die from any procedure but this is fortunately an incredibly rare event and unlikely to happen under most circumstances. In most cases, this can be performed under local anesthesia and is a safe procedure.

Labiaplasty is surgery.....

+1

Labiaplasty is surgery, so the answer is "yes" theoretically. I have never had such a problem with a cosmetic patient, so it would be extremely rare if the surgery is done by the right doctor.

Best Regards,

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Very small risk.

+1

Most likely you will not have any problems with surgery or anesthesia.

Another option that you must consider is to have this surgery with local anesthesia only. This is a minor surgery and it is possible to be done under local.

Good luck

Victor M. Perez, MD, FACS
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Epidural is an alternative anesthesia for Labiaplasty

+1

If your biggest fear is that then alternatives should have been discussed. An epidural as is used for Childbirth is an alternative.  Obviously the issue is with the anesthetic and there can be issues but it should be incredibly low.

Robert Whitfield, MD, FACS

Death from surgery

+1

You are young and healthy, and this is a minor procedure. We would expect that your chances are quite low to die from anesthesia. They will never be zero, but they will be close. Also, the chances of death from non anesthesia causes are very very remote.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Labiaplasty risks

+1

Every operation has risks and potential complications that ca include death. However, labiaplasty is a simple procedure that can often be done under local anesthesia while you are awake. Thus the potential risks are significantly lower when compared to other procedures.

Siamak Agha, MD, PhD, FACS