Did the Orthodontist Screw Up? Narrow Smile and Teeth Tilted in? (photo)

My daughter had her braces taken off. It appears that the orthodontist just crowded the teeth in for some reason. They weren't like this before in terms of being sloped inward - just a little crowding. The concern was expressed during the treatment. Although discussed it was not corrected. Should we ask them to fix it? Go to another orthodontist? Or is this "normal". For me, all I really want is for her to be happy with her smile. Thank you for the advice!

Screw up

+1

When there is a post treatment concern, good communications is key on both sides. I would write down all the issues you want to talk about and call and make a special apt. To visit with your Dr. If you are professional he will treat you professionally. Do not point fingers keep your emotions in check. Talk over all the issues and work for a solution. If all else fails you can ask for the dental board review the case and even get your before and after records and get a second view. Most issues can be worked out and the desired results achieved

Chesterfield Orthodontist

What to do about a narrow smile

+1

The teeth do appear inwardly tipped, especially the cuspids. It may be an option to orthodontically "torque" the upper and lower teeth out. This is not a quick movement and would require additional time in braces. For some patients it is helpful to first broaden the smile and then moving the back teeth forward with the use of anchor points. Google "TADs anchorage" for more information.

In any event you are looking at a significant amount of additional treatment. Discuss your concerns with her current orthodontist, and you may also want to get a second opinion. Getting a second opinion from another orthodontist does not necessarily mean you are switching doctors, you are just gathering more information so you can make the best decision for your child. Be sure to bring her pre-treatment records (photographs, x-rays, casts) to that appointment.

San Ramon Orthodontist