Did a Root Canal, Now Years Later the Crown is Brown, and I Have a Bad Infection, an Implant is Suggested As my Only Option?

Failing root canal ?

+1

You will almost always have more than one option. You may want a removable partial denture, or a fixed partial denture. Your options will be based on dollars you can spend and what you want removable or fixed and condition of soft and hard tissue good luck

Kevin Coughlin DMD, MBA, MAGD      CEO Baystate Dental PC

Springfield Cosmetic Dentist

Failing root canal options

+1

This depends on the stability of the tooth and the remaining tooth structure. If both are good then you could see an endodontist (root canal specialist) and ask them about doing a re-treatment to eliminate the infection. If it is a front tooth and the tooth structure is intact, then you could try doing an internal bleach after the root canal re-treatment is done. If not then do a porcelain crown.

It the tooth stability is not good or the structure is compromised, then consider the implant.

Good luck

Dr. T

Miami Beach Cosmetic Dentist

Fixing an infected tooth

+1

I would definitely consult with an endodontist ( a root-canal specialist) and a restorative dentist on the pros and cons of trying to save this tooth. There are many things than can be done to  save a tooth such as root canal retreatment, apicoectomy, and crown lengthening in addition to having a new crown made, but only a doctor doing a complete exam on this tooth can give you more definitive options. 

New York Cosmetic Dentist

Brown Crown Options

+1

They can try internal bleaching with superoxol - high content peroxide.  That can take the brown out.  If there is no infection, you could also just crown the tooth to match the others.  It would be helpful to have a picture and x-rays to give you a better opinion.  I would suggest you go for a couple more opinions.

Washington Cosmetic Dentist