Why did Restylane lip injection not work as expected (supposed to last a few months)?

This is the second time I've had Restylane in upper lip only. Both times there was swelling for 2-3 days, then after that the result looked good for about a day. Right after that, lip went mostly back to normal and looks same as before. The first time I had .5 cc so the surgeon used a full cc the second time--same problem. I'm disappointed with results. I've read doctors' comments on here saying this can't be possible, but I'm not the only one who experienced this. Why does this happen?

Restylane for lips

+2
It is important to take before and after photos to see what results you are having with Restylane.  You may have better results with Perlane or Juvederm UltraPlus.

Toronto Dermatologist

Why did Restylane lip injection not work as expected

+2

Its very rare for your body to metabolize a Hyaluronic acid filler so quickly, you may want to consider trying Juvederm XC 

I guess anything is possible.

+2

I've had patients "absorb" or metabolize injectable fillers such as Restylane over a short period of time in the past.  For most people, the fillers last and work as advertised.  Injecting that much in the upper lip and having it "go away" so quickly is something I've never seen before.  That doesn't mean it can't happen.  Maybe your body just metabolizes that particular filler extremely fast.  Perhaps you could try Radiesse.  No guarantees, though!  Good luck.

David W. Allison, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

Restylane injections in the upper lip

+1
You should take before and after photos of the injections to compare the results.  0.5 cc of Restylane is not very much and I am not surprised that you needed more.  If you feel that you want fuller lips you should try Juvederm for your next injections.

Michele S. Green, MD