Why Did a Pinhole with Discharge Appear Along Areola Incision Scar?

Help! I had breast reaugment May/2011. All went fine. Few mnths ago noticed R arm/shlder getting weak. Then noticed pin-sized hole appeared on R breast along incision line on areola w/mild white dischg leak. now body aches, fever comes & goes, yellow dischg pouring out, headaches, R arm/shldr weaker, R breast swollen. PS says he nvr heard/saw this B4 but will do exploratory surg 2 "look" but prob wont B able 2tell me what its from. I insisted on blood work +awaiting results. what is this??HELP

Breast Augmentation - Why Did a Pinhole with Discharge Appear Along Areola Incision Scar?

In general, a pinhole size opening with a small amount of discharge is not necessarily a cause for major concern, particularly if it is relatively early, a relatively small amount of discharge and if there are no other signs or symptoms of a more generalized process.

However, the combination of what you're describing is, in fact, worrisome and I agree with the plan to explore, remove the implant and wash out the cavity.  You may or may not be able to have the implant reinserted at this time and even that is not a guarantee either way.  If it can't be reinserted, it may be able to be at a later date.  And if it is reinserted there is no assurance it will be okay on its own.

Essentially, you have a delayed infection of the right breast implant, and your signs and symptoms point to, and are consistent with, that diagnosis.  It may never be know why this occurred.  The main thing is to seek immediate medical attention, as you have done, and to proceed accordingly. 

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E