Did my Surgeon "Miss"?

I had fat grafting in tear troughs and nasal labial lines 4 days ago along with an upper bleph. So far Im healing well. I have noticed on one side of my mouth the lower half of the nasal labial line is there...looking totally untouched. The other side looks great. I have had no bruising or swelling in this area. What are the chances the Dr. simply didn't inject there? Could it have already reabsorbed?! I was awake for the procedure so I know he did do the injecting...I am confused and a bit sad.

Different amounts of swelling is a possibility

+2

Although it is certainly possible that your surgeon injected less in one area than another depending on the amount he/she thought it needed, it may also be possible that you have different rates of swelling in different parts of your face.

Don't get too sad now. It is quite early. Wait 3 months before making any final judgements.

Good luck

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Uneven Nasolabial Grooves 4 Days after Fat Augmentation

+1

You are only 4 days after your surgery; patience is the only alternative at this time. Unfortunately we were not present at your operation and cannot see you now. It is possible that the lower portion of the groove was not adequately injected, but swelling can cause that appearance.

It is much more likely that you just did not bruise in this area.

+1

Fat grafting does often produce a lot of swelling and bruising.  However that does not mean that all parts of the face bruise and swell the same.  I would not worry about things this early.  Give yourself time to heal.  The best time frame for judging a fat grafting is at 6 to 12 months.  Consider posting before and after photos at that time frame if you still have questions.

Did my Surgeon "Miss"?

+1

Although it seems logical for you, as the patient, to ask opinions of other surgeons immediately after having a surgery with another surgeon, IMO it's unethical to intervene while you are under his/her care.  Please go and see the plastic and cosmetic surgeon that performed your surgery as he/she knows what was done and should be the one asked these questions.  

Non correction with fat grafting

+1

Perhaps the correction you see on the better side is due to the swelling and bruising that is variable. Wait for 6-12 weeks to see if you get any result on either side. I am assuming the the breising and swelling is on your "good" side.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon