Why Did my Side Profile Change After I Took my Splint off?

Hi, I had a septorhinoplasty done two weeks ago. I also has the tip rotated so that it no longer droops. I am of Lebanese descent and my PS told me that individuals from certain ethnicities have thicker skin which means recovery time is a little longer. But I am digressing. Question: Why does my tip look bulbous side on when initially after splint removal, it was beautifully, if not perfectly straight? Do you believe it will return to the way it looked when I first removed my splint?

Increased Swelling after Splint Removal

+1

The swelling will increase after splint removal as the splint was compressing the tissue to some degree.  This effect is frequently observed.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Changes After Removing Nasal Bandages

+1

What you are describing is fairly common after removing the bandages and splint following rhinoplasty. Initially, the bandages help to compress the skin and keep the swelling down to a minimum. Once removed, the soft tissue can rebound to give a more swollen look. It is hard to determine how much of this will resolve over what period of time. But, in general, swelling will progressively reduce with additional healing time. 

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Why does my tip look bulbous side on when initially after splint removal it looked good ?

+1

Thanks for the question. If the nose tip looked good to you after removal of the splint there is 90 % chance that I will reach that result in 6 to 12 months depends upon healing properties of your body. All PS explain to their patient that the nasal tip will swell as soon as the splint is removed irrespective of your genetic composition because of lymphatic drainage that is being cut off during surgery takes time to re establish. Therefore I think just be patience and very slowly you will see yourself improving. Looking frequently in mirror should be avoided. Wish you good luck

Ashok Govila, FRCS, MCh, MS
Dubai Plastic Surgeon