Did my Restalyne Migrate?

Hi - I just got restalyne in my cheeks and smile lines. All seems decent (this is two days ago) and now I see and feel a long hard 'line' below my smile line. I am concerned that the filler migrated on that side below the smile line.... My doctor called me back and suggested it could Be inflammation and that I shouldn't be worried it migrated. The other puffiness on my face feels squishy and this feels harder (almost like a harder vein or something). Could this be filler?? How do I know?

Can Restylane migrate?

+1

In general, filler will not migrate following injection. A little bit of inflammation and swelling is a typical side effect of filler, and it is possible this is what you are experiencing. The other puffiness you describe is the result of swelling and should resolve within a few days. One can only tell with an examination, and I would recommend visiting your physician in person so he can take a look at your issue. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Restylane is ideal for the cheeks and smile lines

+1

If you are experiencing a feeling that the injection is hard it is possible that too much filler was placed or too high.  It may just be swelling from the procedure itself which can take a week or more to resolve.  You did not attach a photo but if you are concerned and don't want to wait to see if it resolves you should return to your doctor this week for evaluation.  

Michele S. Green, MD

Restylane and migration

+1

It sounds like you need to go in and see the provider who injected the product. Typically you'll have swelling and tenderness for several days after your initial treatment but if you're feeling like something is wrong that could be vascular, it's wise to go in right away. It's  unlikely, but better to be safe and feel better about the outcome.

Sam Naficy, MD

Restylane does not migrate

+1
Restylane does not migrate. If you see and feel a "line", this is probably bruising or swelling which can occur in adjacent areas as well as in the injection site. If you have additional concerns, then return to your doctor for followup.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Restylane for cheeks and smile lines

+1

Restylane is a hyaluronic acid and when it is injected into the cheeks and smile lines it will stay right where it is injected.   If you did not feel any lumps right after the injection then any lumps that you are experiencing are likely bruises or inflammation from the injections.  This should all settle in the next 7 to 14 days. I think you will love your injections but you have to be patient.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Restylane and Migration

+1

The hard area you are feeling might be one of two things.  You may have some bruising and swelling in the area, or the filler on that side may have been injected more superficially and in a slightly different location than the filler on the other side.  Restylane does not truly "migrate" once it is placed.  If it is still present and bothersome after about 2 weeks, Restylane can be dissolved by injecting Hyaluronidase into the area.  Please return to your injector to be evaluated visually, not just over the phone.

Sheri G. Feldman, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist