Did My Left Breast Implant Bottom Out?

My left breast implant sits lower than my right. I am about 2 mos postop so I know you aren't supposed to worry until around 6 mos/1 year. But the right implant looks perfect where it is and the left is only slightly lower yet you can see where my natural breast stops and the implant begins. It looks as if the implant fell a little too low and the breast isn't smooth all the way around. You can see a sort of crease. If this has happened already is there any way that this will still heal properly

Bottoming out?

+1

Without an exam and pre and post-op pictures it is impossible for me to say what is going on.  What I will say is that each breast more likely is slightly different and that may lead to the presumed asymmetry that you see.

Bottomed out, perhaps not

+1

Without more information it is hard to tell, though sometimes with a tight breast fold on one side the breast fold must be lowered to center the implant on the nipple. The lower pole of the breast will relax and give to accomodate the imlplant but early on it can give the appearance of a low implant or suggest a double bubble with a line visible along the old fold. There is a way to have this all heal properly, but keep your surgeon posted.

Bottoming Out?

+1

Without photos it is impossible to know what exactly is happening, but bottoming out is a possibility. Additionally, your breasts may have had an asymmetric fold from the start. This could be determined by evaluating your pre-op photos. Your breasts will continue to evolve over time, but I would stay in close contact with your surgeon and you will find that progression photos will be helpful in following your progress.

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Breast Implants - Did My Left Breast Implant Bottom Out?

+1

It's hard to answer this question without a photo but I would agree that it's early in your recovery to be overly concerned with the appearance of one of the breasts - it can easily take up to six months to see the final results.  You should of course remain in contact with your own plastic surgeon but since perfect symmetry is rare, whether before or after surgery, the fact that they are different right now is not overly surprising.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Breast Implant Bottoming Out?

+1

Given that your only 2 months out of your surgery, it is very likely that the breasts will continue to change over the course of the next few months. You may find that the “slight” asymmetry that you are experiencing will either improve or worsen. Therefore, it is too early to evaluate the end results of surgery. Keep in mind, that absolute breast symmetry is very rarely achieved.

I would suggest that you continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon for direct examination and precise advice. Consider breast augmentation revision surgery ONLY  if significant breast asymmetry is present in the long term.  Generally speaking, bottoming out  of breast implants can be corrected using capsulorrhaphy (internal suture) techniques