Did my Dr. Make a Mistake? Found Out One of my Implants Are Upside Down?

I had surgery in Feb. for breast augmentation and lift, however my Dr. Decided not to do the lift. I then went to another Dr. To finish the job yesterday, just to find out that one of the implants was upside down. Also the muscle was not released enough so I had no cleavage. Was he negligent or can this happen on its own?

Implants can shift over time

+1

and I do not believe your doctor made a mistake.  But why did you switch doctors in mid-stream?  Implants can turn upside down if the pocket is large enough to allow movement of the implant.  As for muscle release, that is a judgment call and something you should have discussed with your doctor before the procedure as to how much improvement you would be achieved in diminishing your distance between the breasts.

A saline filled implant can flip if it is over filled beyond the manufacturers recommended fill levels

+1

You did not mention if you used gel or saline filled implants.  One of the problems with saline filled implants is that if over filled they tend to get very round and can definitely rotate in the implant capsule.  All implants have a definite front and back and are designed to be placed in this manner.  The only time I have seen this to be a problem is when a thin patient has an overfilled saline filled implant.  In this situation there can be a subtle change in shape.  No negligence or deviation of the standard of care is involved.   

Implants Can Flip If There Is Room In The Pocket

+1

Even though the breast pocket is generally made such that the implant is a snug fit, over time the tissues cna relax and allow the implant to move more.  Even the round implants do have a front aned a back to them ( usually a patch on the back of them that is a little flatter).  The patch should always be placed against the chest wall, but there are some patients who will have the implant flip over on itseld for whatever reason.  Not negligence, just one of these things that can happen.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Implants can change position post-operatively!

+1

Implants can change position post-op so it'd be very difficult to prove it was put in incorrectly. Interestingly in the PRS Journal there are some case reports of textured, anatomic implants having flipped but still yielding an acceptable appearance. This certainly in not negligence. As for the muscle release, there are many ways around the mountain (i.e. varying techniques and varied results/looks). Their are no studies proving a certain amount of muscle release to be better, than less, or no muscle release, so this may represent a differing opinion or technique but in no way constitutes negligence.

Evan Feldman, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Conventional implants will not create an aesthetic issue even if they "flip".

+1

I'm not sure what you mean by "flip". Non-anatomical implants are symmetrical so any rotation will not create an aesthetic problem. Perhaps you should discuss this with the surgeon who described the situation to you.

Negligence during Breast Surgery?

+1

Nothing in your description sounds like “negligence”.  Breast implants can certainly flip and turn etc.Best wishes; hopefully you will be pleased with the outcome of the procedure performed.