Why Did my Doctor Give Me Compression Garment Like Shorts if I Had Liposuction on Abs and Flanks?

The garment looks like shorts then there is a corset part that goes over midsection. Just wondering why i would need compression on legs if I didn't get lipo there. Is this type of garment better for what I had done?

Garments after liposuction

+3

The garments should be for your comfort.  Although you had suction of your waist and flanks, the swelling will tend to go downhill and wearing the shorts type garment will help with swelling in your thighs. Again the key is uniform and comfortable compression.  The garment does no good in the drawer so if you find them comfortable you will wear them.  

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Garment after liposuction

+2

Short leg garments after abdominal and flank liposuction are

• usually much more comfortable - they don't ride up and dig into the groin.
  • For women, they make using the toilet easier also.

I use short leg garments for almost all my women my tummy tuck and abdominal/flank liposuction patients - hope this reassures you!

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Type of garment after liposcution

+2

Each surgeon has their own preference for the type or style of compression garment they have their patients wear after liposuction.  A body suit type of garment that fastens in the crotch may be equally effective for the procedure you had done.  Perhaps, you surgeon only had the garment with thigh extension in stock.  In either case, the garment should be satisfactory for the purpose intended.  

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Compression garment and liposuction

+2

Garments that just cover the abdomen tend to ride upward and often do not cover the hips and flankc as they should. Therefore, many doctors have patients get the pants-like garment to prevent this from happening.

Garments after Liposuction

+1

There is a certain variability in garments, but, as long as the garment is appropriately compressing the areas that have been liposuctioned, this should be OK.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Post Op Liposuction - Compression Garment

+1

Thank you for your question. There are many different types of garment out there.  As long as you have compression on the areas of liposuction, you are fine. The  short-like garments just tend to stay on and hold things better during routine activity.  Be certain to be under the supervision of a board certified plastic surgeon with expertise in body contouring for the best  results.  I hope this helps.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon